Thursday, April 16, 2015

Wait weight, don't kill me

Weight has always been a struggle for me. Growing up, I was “the fat one.” Kids made fun of my body shape. At age 15, I was 5 feet 9 inches and weighed about 280 pounds. 37 years later, I fully understand that I can watch diligently what I eat, but I have a tough time losing weight! I just conceded being “the fat one.” While I try to understand, I assume I never will.

I have had a metabolism issue for the last quarter of a century. What is that? Metabolism is the chemical process a body uses to transform food into the fuel that keeps us alive. Nutrition (food) consists of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. Digestive enzymes break down these substances and then carry them to the cells for fuel. Your body uses these substances immediately or stores them in the liver, body fat, and muscle tissues for later use.

 So, what happens to my metabolism if I have too much or too little of the essential substances I need to stay healthy? I found I am sensitive to metabolism errors.  The body must have amino acids and many types of proteins to perform its functions. For example, the brain needs calcium, potassium, and sodium to generate electrical impulses and lipids (fats and oils) to maintain a healthy nervous system. 

Metabolic disorders can result from a missing enzyme or vitamin that is necessary for a significant chemical reaction, abnormal chemical reactions, disease in the liver, pancreas, endocrine glands, or other organs, or just a fundamental nutritional deficiency.

Have I caused the issue from stupidity? I know I can develop a metabolic disorder if specific organs (for instance, the pancreas or the liver) stop functioning correctly.  I know I have had minor issues, and the only issue I have now is the heart.  My sister and I have similar problems, but no others in the family have the same issues.  So, I discount anything genetic.

I have often wondered if it is Diabetes, which is the most common metabolic concern.  I have regularly checked my glucose levels, and I have been under 100 for several years.  Before I knew of the potential issue, I had a high of 106, which is still not an alarming level of work to keep it under 100.   Although always in the high 90’s, it should not be a concern.

I am still baffled, and I am thinking of it even more as my weight is near my lifetime high, over 300 pounds. I need to get this under control. At least I have a start; I realize the problem. Now, the hard part: finding a solution?

No comments: