Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Can gratitude calm my nerves and make me more effective?

“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues but the parent of all others.” ~Cicero

I have been told that being grateful or practicing gratitude has many benefits, including improving health, relationships, careers, sleep, and self-esteem. I recently read scientific studies that support positive thoughts’ impact on the brain.

I recall a great friend, Steve Wilkinson, who emphasized this in tennis and life.  He would say gratitude in a match calms the nerves and mind.  As an avid tennis player in my youth, I struggled to play up to my ability in tournament match play. I was constantly over-thinking, too cautious, and too tight during matches.  I first met Steve in the early 80s when I attended a Tennis and Life Camp.  He could see how I was such an emotional mess I was playing with anger, not gratitude.  He stated this would create walls in all I do in life.  I never really applied all he taught me until the past few years when I realized my cardiac issues mean I am no longer living forever.

He often preached to me that I never have anything to lose.  Upon reflection, what applies to sports and performance applies equally to most life experiences.  I have been told there is a powerful synergy between gratitude, calmness, and serenity.

I had the opportunity to prove this theory in an entirely different setting—a legal situation. In 2012, I had to be deposed in a matter related to my work. While waiting, I was nervous as I repeatedly rehearsed what I would say.

Then, an amazing thing happened. I reminded myself to be grateful—yes, grateful. Specifically, I was thankful that I had the opportunity to tell the facts, to be heard, and to present my side of the story.  Something I was clearly unable to do until that day.  Before this day, I was filled with accusations from all sides, including those who were supposed to support me.  I expressed gratitude for living in a country where all could seek justice without many constraints. My nerves immediately subsided with those thoughts, and I became very calm and grounded. 

A short while later, it was over, and it really made a difference in the outcome.  I began to believe being grateful for stressful situations stimulates the brain’s neurons and, in effect, re-wires the brain to produce a happier state of being.   But why did I believe this when I am over 50 years of age.

Here are my thoughts. They include:
  • Gratitude towards others redirects focus from what is troubling or worrying me to what lifts our spirit. We shift from negative to positive thinking and energy.
  • Gratitude towards others gives me a proper perspective of what’s at stake. 


Bottom line: There is no shortage of opportunities to test this powerful dynamic! I recently recognized this and used it at the office today. I was amazed at the outcome. Try it, and see what you think. I must remember the importance of all aspects of life, including gratitude that I have another day to spend with humans in a great land.



No comments: