Sunday, December 28, 2008

71.6?

I am a numbers guy. I make little notes throughout the year, and sometimes, I look at them and over-analyze the numbers I put on paper. I have little spreadsheets to monitor things—way too many spreadsheets. I have one for my car miles (in case I need to deduct travel expenses for tennis). I have a spreadsheet for meals I eat out in case I need a deduction for that activity.

I often need to fill in some fields. But the number of hours working is known. For my "real" job, I take 2080 hours minus vacation time, minus holidays, and add overtime/comp time to get a number. For my tennis, I report hours, so getting a total is easy. What needs to be added is the hours I work off the clock, which I do often.

Anyway, in 2008, I was troubled by many changes, which meant my performance in races was less, my physical fitness was less, and my body felt tired so often. So, I look at 2006, 2007, and 2008 to see why things are so different. Well, I found a significant difference... 71.6 hours each week. This is the average number of hours per week I officiated tennis or worked at my "real" job each week in 2008. This is 14.3 hours higher than 2006 and 10.6 hours more than 2007. I knew my stress levels were high and I was working more, but this was a surprise. I had over 14 more hours each week in 2006 to rest, train and repair. That makes a massive difference as I look at it today.

I look at the first three months of 2009. There is no reason to believe I will not be over 70 hours a week, at least through February. Then I plan on going to Germany to visit my son in March for a week, which will help the average go down, but when I return, I have two weeks that may be above 80 hours each week... Looking ahead, I have planned at least 70 hours a week on average, even with the week's vacation. So how can I train during that time? I do not know but 71.6 will assure i will be doing few races. So, my first goal is to look at April onward and only accept some tennis assignments offered... I may use some of the vacation time I have built up... One thing at a time.

As a follow-up from my blood test showing I had a primary Vitamin D deficiency, and I was put on doses of 50,000 IU, I have been sleeping better. I am so surprised that one of the issues with vitamin D deficiency was sleep... This has improved! I am also not as stiff as I was, with the bones hurting. I may be absorbing Calcium better... If this improves, and I cut my tennis hours to a reasonable number, there may be hope? 71.6 can not happen in 2009!

Carry on. . .

1 comment:

Diane said...

I hear you on work hours cutting into not only the quantity but the quality of training. That's good that you noticed that trend and you can look forward with reasonable expectations of what you can ask yourself to do!