Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Veggie-burgers? A short review

I have read many blogs lately about ultra runners trying the Vegan diet. I declare up front that I am a meat lover, period. I wonder if there I am other than a white male, as my favorite foods are BBQ ribs, BBQ chicken, cornbread, and watermelon... Although, with some fine reading, I have been open to vegan burgers lately. I like the flavor and taste of some over a regular burger. But I recently did a nutritional comparison and found some Veggieburgers are not much better for you than 97/3 beef.

There are so many different brands and flavors out there now that the selection can be a little overwhelming. I found three brands at Target and Cub. Some burgers are made with soy, and others with grains. I have read about some veggie burgers that are just that and made from veggies. Sunshine even makes its burgers with sunflower seeds (I have not found this brand yet, but I know it is out there…). Depending on the main ingredients, all your options will differ in calories, Sodium, carbs, and protein, so check out this breakdown to see which satisfies your needs.

This may be hard to follow, but here is the nutrition information for a variety of burger options using a 2.5 oz patty (Common Veggieburger size)

97/3 beef has 88 calories, 3 G fat (1 Saturated), zero Sodium, zero carbs, zero fiber, and 15g protein.

Veggieburger comparisons were broad – Boca original seemed the best and less expensive than beef…

Boca Original has 70 calories, 0.5 G fat (0 Saturated), 280 mg Sodium, 6 g carbs, 4 g fiber, and 13g protein.

Boca Grilled Vegi has 80 calories, 1 G fat (0 Saturated), 300 mg Sodium, 7 g carbs, 4 g fiber and 12g protein.

Boca All American has 90 calories, 3 G fat (0.5 g Saturated), 280mg Sodium, 4 g carbohydrates, 4.5 g fiber, and 14 g protein.

Gardenburger Garden Original has 100 calories, 1 G fat (0 Saturated), 230mg Sodium, 12 g carbs, 3 g fiber and 10 g protein.

Gardenburger Original
has 100 calories, 3.5 Grams of fat (0.5 grams Saturated), 420 mg of Sodium, 14 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of fiber, and 5 grams of protein.

Morningstar Classic has 120 calories, 4 G fat (0.5 g Saturated), 260mg Sodium, 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, and 11 g protein.

I have found the Boca Original to be far better balanced, about 30% less expensive than others, and comparable to beef. In addition, I found that a properly dressed 97/3 beef patty would be a better option than some others calorie-wise, but it still has 3 G of fat.

So, I had another alternative. I have a juicer, and most mornings, I juice 12 ounces of many flavors: carrots, apples, blueberries, ginger, Kiwi, green pepper, and so on. Tonight, I mixed 4 ounces of my dry pulp into 2.5 ounces of 97/3 burger. It was GREAT! I may experiment more, like going down to 1.5 ounces of burger and adding egg whites to the mix.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this topic or suggestions?

PS: This week, my knee feels it, but so far, I've walked 12 miles and ridden 3.5 on a bike. But it hurts a little.

Carry on!

3 comments:

Diane said...

A do-it-yourself veggie burger... very interesting idea.

I bought and am bringing camping with me this weekend the following:

Gardenburger Sun-dried Tomato Basil burgers. 100 cal, 2.5g fat (.5 Sat.), 17g carbs (4 fiber), 4g protein. Serving size is 71g (not sure how many oz that is). I'll give you the taste factor on Monday!

Karen G said...

Whole Foods has the sunshine burger which is a fav of mine and daughter- who is very picky.
If I don't get them I get the Boca that are available only at Sams club- they are alot bigger and alot better than any other available anywhere else. I am not fond of veggie burgers that taste like beans.
Don't forget the colesterol advantage, non of the veggie burgers have colesterol and they should have good fiber which beef doesnt have. I was a veggie burger fan way back from Weight watchers days when they were a very good points value.

Beth said...

Great job walking and biking! Sorry, I'm a terrible cook and am no help in this area. I can tolerate the Boca burgers but can't convince the rest of my family, so we just do normal beef. I should keep working on them...