Thursday, September 10, 2009

Superior Blues

I had journeyed to the north shore for the past three years to run a looooonnnnngggg race. First, the 50 mile in 2006 was a success, and then 2 attempts at the 100 mile, where I failed. Although this year, sitting home watching the first football game of the season (a real bore), I can not help but think about the many friends and others who are about to venture out to finish a great race. It is a great race because of many factors, but in any event I have ever been involved in, the people make it great!

The core of compassionate, caring, and knowledgeable friends who put this on year after year is unmatched in any other armature event I have participated in. Larry, Don, Bonnie, Scott, Colleen, and others put that event on without pay. I want to maintain the great successes of all those who will finish, but with that core group and all the volunteers, they would start. They can never be thanked enough...

Good luck to all, and I am saddened that I will not be there with you running or volunteering. Life throws a curve ball, and I am smart enough not to swing.

Carry on...

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm so glad you are giving credit to all the volunteers. I'm always amazed at races at how many people gave up their day just to help someone else reach their goals. You, however, aren't giving yourself enough credit. Life did throw you a curve ball but you are taking good care of yourself. You will be back out there again soon. Life is long and bad things are bound to happen, but we have to, as you say, carry on. You are doing just that!