Sunday, October 24, 2021

Cold, Zwift, a bird and the end of being a grandpa.

Outdoor riding is nearing the end of 2021.  Temps are not in the low 30s in the morning and high 40s/low 50s in the afternoon.  The afternoon ride would be enjoyable, not the morning ride.  Therefore, I moved my Surly Long Haul Trucker to the basement and set it up on the Wahoo Kickr.  I have used Zwift for the past two years, but I will try Rouvy this fall and see if I switch.

With no chance to work out for the past few days, I completed many yard work duties.  That is typical in the Minnesota fall weather, especially when I live in a heavily wooded area.

I did get out one day for fall photo pictures.  For years, I have marveled at friends who post bird pictures in their natural environment, which has continually impressed me.  I took my second bird photo this weekend in seven years and am still trying to succeed.  The first photo is from 2017, and the second is from this past weekend.  I will continue to hone that skill.



Friday, I looked at the past few posts and realized there was sad news I did not share.  Some know I had a grandson who was born with medical issues.  He was my only grandchild.  He needed care all his life, which ended on June 30, 2021.  It was unexpected; here is the obituary and the funeral video (not sure how long the video is posted.  

My son, Christopher, and his mother, Susan, are the primary adults with the strongest bond with Jacob.  This impacted them the most.  Unfortunately, in my life, I have experienced so much death.  My first experience was a 3rd-grade classmate, then in 7th grade, a suicide.  A friend tires in my high school yard, and shortly after, my 2-year-old nephew dies.  That is the start of many more experiences I wish I never encountered.  It is never easy, but it is easier if that makes sense.  

As a father, I am still concerned about my son, who is depressed yet holding it together.  As we have never communicated much, I am not sure I am much help.  All I can do is remind him, day by day, as they say.

Every day is a new beginning.  Take a deep breath, smile, and start again.   

No comments: