Thursday, October 21, 2021

Pain from bicycle crash

Based on the pain from my bicycle crash, I decided to go to the clinic for a medical diagnosis. Unfortunately, when I arrived, my general practitioner stated I was late for:

  • My annual checkup should have been in July of 2020 - a little late. (Done)
  • Needed the Flu Vaccine (Done)
  • Was supposed to have shingle vaccine (Passed)
  • Needed the Pneumococcal vaccine (whatever that is?) (Done)
  • Blood work - since 2017, I have battled anemia
  • Late for the echocardiogram (was supposed to be September 2020, scheduled)
  • Upper GI due to the hernia and pain (passed on this one)
  • I spotted a growth on my right arm and left calf; they were concerned and set a dermatologist appointment in less than two weeks. Those usually take months. I have had these growths for over five years, and they occasionally ooze and bleed. I never was concerned, as they did not grow.


The most depressing fact is 311 pounds fully clothed with shoes. I still do not think I can fudge that and say under 300 naked? Holy cow, I need to drop at least 75 pounds or more. They suggested I consider medical options, yet I stated I would pass and try harder. My own guess is that my main issues are stress and work. Last year, I lost so much vacation time and worked just under 3,000 hours. Yes, do the math, averaging 8.2 hours a day, all 365 days. No time for myself. I only need over two years before I can retire. My most pressing concern is health insurance.


In addition, the political climate has made my job pure hell. There is no middle anymore—just aggressive left or right positions. Often, I am in the middle, blamed by both for the issue. The morale is lower than anything I have ever experienced. It is much lower than when the leadership change was completed six years ago. Again, I estimate I will retire in about 28 months or so. I just need to stay alive to get to that point.


I digressed, and I went back to the clinic visit. So many other points were emphasized, yet little was said about why I was there? I believe I have concussion symptoms, and my groin and bruises are very painful! There are hard, painful lumps on my thighs. Oh well, as they say, you can lead a horse to water, yet you can't make them drink. They looked at my chart and went everywhere except where I needed them to be.


October 17 was Shelley's birthday. She was excited when her older daughter and two grandchildren flew in for three days from Nashabull (as the 5-year-old says—Nashville). That was one of the best presents she could have on her birthday weekend. I was not even going to attempt to top their visit. 


However, I did go overboard and purchased a Kickr Core for her. I have one and love it in the winter with Zwift or Rouvy. She has expressed the difficulty of getting good biking leg strength over the winter for quite some time. Let's see if the level of use over the winter justifies the purchase.


With her being occupied, I could get out over the weekend and take some fall photos; below is a small sample.:





I need to get out more. I must leave the employment duties unfinished and take time for myself. That would be a healthy option, but I have always said people are waiting for staff to finish so they can initiate their work. Without it, the delay has rippling impacts. Yet, one person can't save the world; no one in the office notices or cares. So, for the past two weekends, I have only worked 5-8 hours on Saturday and Sunday combined, compared to the standard 10-15 hours. That is a start!


Tomorrow, I plan to ride my bicycle to work. The AM temperature forecast is 37 degrees, and the high will be 45. If I ride, it will be cold, which can sometimes be refreshing.


Carry on, my friend, carry on...



No comments: