Friday, June 5, 2015

Back to back bicycle commutes

I had two lovely biking days in Minnesota.  The 60-degree morning and the 70-degree ride home with slight winds was a welcomed change.  This is the first back-to-back ride since last year.  I find the 17.7-mile one-way ride with an elevation gain of 600 feet and elevation loss of 800 feet refreshing on the way to work.  The ride in the morning is slightly more manageable.  The ride home is a little more challenging with the 200 feet of elevation gain, net, and much less refreshing.  In fact, I get home and hate the ride.  It could be more due to the terrible time at work.

I really needed the rides.  Work is pure hell and almost unbearable.  I feel like I am losing all control.  I am so far behind that I have people yelling at me for returning the phone calls and e-mails as soon as possible, a few days after I get them.  Yesterday at noon, I had 207 e-mails and 56 voicemails behind.  I dedicated all 6 hours yesterday and 12 hours today to nothing but gaining ground on the mess.  My to-do list is now over 100 items long and growing.  I will work another 24-hour weekend and get the list down to 50 items.  Like I said, I am at the end of the four-wick candle, burning both ends and the center.

Today was a first.  I thought I was riding in dry snow!  The cottonwood trees were snowing.  The most challenging part was breathing without taking in those little furballs.  I have never experienced this issue before and hope I am not privileged again.

The other issue is the impact of the economic downturn almost a decade ago is evident.  The general practice is reducing infrastructure maintenance to soften a budget in difficult financial times.  The bike trails must be better maintained, so I may need a fat bike soon to traverse the terrain.  The main roads could be better; I am contemplating taking the 22-mile ride to work on local streets, as there are fewer Country roads and poorly maintained trails.  I wish I was kidding, but the bike jarring is unacceptable.

I anticipate riding to work often in June.  One of three possible ways to cross the Minnesota River is closing for June.  The last time that happened, the typical stress-filled, angry driver commute was longer in the car than on the bike.  Again, 17.7 miles by bike and only 11 miles by car, yet the bike is the faster option.

So, two in a row is good.  Let me see where that takes me…  Carry on, my friends, carry on…

No comments: