Monday, June 1, 2015

MacGyver?

This evening, my girlfriend was moving her daughter to her new condo.  She rented a U-Haul trailer, and they loaded it without issue.  When I returned from work (late at 8:30 PM), I decided to help her with the last load so she could get home and to bed before it was too late. 

We had great timing, and I was thrilled that at 9:55 PM, we were heading home.  She called me scared about a mile from the condo and 20 miles from the U-Haul return location and home.  She said the hitch fell off the car, and the trailer flailed all over the road.  She managed to stop without hitting another vehicle or her own.  She was frantic and did not know how to solve the problem.  Looking at the situation, I realized the hitch pin was gone. 

So what do you do after 10:00 PM with no stores within 15 miles that would have a hitch pin?  I was guessing only Walmart was possible at that hour.  I went a few blocks away to the Holiday Station store.  Walking around the store, I tried to think of anything to use as a hitchpin.  Then I saw a pair of pliers.  If I took the pliers apart and stuck the narrow end in the pin location, it would create a pin.  Then, it would work using a bungee cord attached to the pivot hole and wrapping it around the hitch to hold it in place.

So, I purchased a $4.29 pair of pliers and put a bungee in the car.  Within minutes, we were on the road and had no issues.  I still have that MacGyver touch!  The funny thing is, when I said this to her daughter, she said, “Who?” How many people know what I mean by a “MacGyver touch”?”

No comments: