Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tire flip, headphones and other rambles

I saw an article in the Star-Tribune yesterday.  It was about a guy who wanted to run 93 miles in 24 hours on a treadmill (http://www.startribune.com/local/north/38239339.html?elr=KArksUUUU)  At first, I thought, let Diane challenge the guy…  She will always be the queen of treadmill training in my book!  Then I thought, I know so many people that could do this easily… I might sound like I am diminishing his glory, but Adam flips a tire, and I think he can do over 100 in 24 hours on a treadmill…  Enough said.  What I know about most successful ultra runners is they are so humble.

 

I never thought I would get rid of that cold, which still lingers a little…  I believe it is lingering as I need to get some sleep.  After being sick all last week and sleeping for what seemed like forever, insomnia has hit me as I try to get caught up.  I monitor my time sleeping and morning pulse rate, among other things; I have slept 20 hours in 6 days… (THAT IS LESS THAN 3.5 A NIGHT...I AM NOW ON AUTO PILOT AND FORGETTING WHAT I AM DOING.)  I hate taking sleeping pills, but I think I need to head to the store and stock up.  They just make me feel so depressed!

 

I did run yesterday and felt good.  Just 3.1 miles in 32 minutes.  I also got an e-mail saying Grandma's Marathon no longer bans headphones.  They still encourage people to refrain from using them to enhance the full atmosphere and experience of the race.  I did enter.  I have to.  I have said it many times on this blog; I had a goal in 1985 to run 25 years in a row.  I have 24…  I am unsure I want to fail, but I am already so nervous…  It does not seem like such an accomplishment until I look back at life changes, injuries, and all other things that could have stopped me but did not!

 

Saturday looks like a great day to head outside.  I finally have 3 weekends where my tennis team only has me working a match daily, which is nice.  But then I have three weekends where any training is impossible, with tennis being 12-14 hours a day…

 

Starting March 21, I have only one whole weekend of tennis through May 16, so I look forward to getting a solid 6 weeks of weight loss and training.  Until that point, I aim to build a solid, consistent base of 20-30 miles a week.  Over the next 8 weeks, I plan on getting my average miles into the high 40's and slowly creeping into the 50's through Grandma's.  At that time, I will decide whether to work an aid station at the Superior 100 or ramp up and go for it again?

 

Two weeks from today, I will be in Munich, Germany, with my son. I have never been to Germany, so it should be so much fun! 

 

Carry on!

4 comments:

Adam said...

Hope you get caught up on that sleep! Several people contacted me when they saw that story, some wanted me to do the same thing on the same day! No thanks. Hopefully he can raise some money for whatever cause it is.

Anonymous said...

I say the best way to see a new place is rolling past you on foot at 7 mph. Hope you get out for some runs. Enjoy your trip!

SteveQ said...

The guy says he's never gone beyond 28 miles - he'll hit 40-45, slow to a walk and quit at 50.
Guaranteed.

Diane said...

Thanks for the honorable mention, Londell! I thought the same thing as I read the article, that I knew many people who would be able to do the same thing. I wonder how/why he got the press?

I agree with Steve's prediction.