Saturday, January 31, 2009

Almost 60 degrees warmer...

The last time I ran outside, it was 16 below zero. Five (5) days later, I got sick and could not do much. It was the germ from hell that had taken out half the staff at work, and it sounds like it now has gobbled up Matt Patten as well. I was thrilled that today I woke up after 6 continuous hours of sleep... That was great, considering I have been sleeping a little. So, the run outside could not be passed up.

I went to the Minnesota River bottom and ran for two hours. The footing was very mixed, with shaded areas like ice, and it was hard to climb the hills to slush. My foot would sink 4 inches as I ran along. I was wearing only a short-sleeve T-shirt with a long-sleeve T-shirt over it and was very comfortable the entire run.

I wore my Nathan and tried a few things I read somewhere once, but I needed to figure out who to give credit to. When I filled the bladder, I turned it upside down and sucked all the air out of the bladder. I was told this makes it ride better on the back. IT DID. Amazing how there was no sloshing around, and I did not know it was there. But, I discovered with no air inside the bladder, sucking out the water was so much more complicated. I will test this a little more to see if it was a kinked hose or something like that, but I sure loved how it felt on my back.

I also do not like powders on the bladder. So, I took straws and filled them with Gookinade powder. I would take the straw and eat the powder like the old sugar-filled Pixi-Sticks. I like this instead of drinking the stick drinks, which I manage to spill on me occasionally. I am interested in trying this again in the future. Have any others tried such a thing?

Anyway, I am so glad to be getting outside. I had some pains I did not like, but that is what happens when you take time off, at least.

Carry on!

2 comments:

Carl Gammon said...

Ah ha! Starting to experiment with your gear is the first sign of Spring and running goals freshly formed.

Karen G said...

Isn't time to start hills at Hyland?