Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Regular runs...

The header sounds a little gross, but it means three runs this year—about 8 total miles! For those who may read this, that is not a big amount, but considering months ago, I did not ever want to run again—I had no urge, no desire, and no enjoyment lacing up and heading out—this is a nice number of runs and miles.

Now, is it cool to run outside again (No pun intended - it is winter!) Again, I really have completed minimal running since the ST 100 attempt... My current runs are small, fast runs or that athletic in effort, but I have enjoyed the outside. Just short runs of 2.5-3 casual miles. Not at all hard. It seems simple, and I did not do much. I would have more runs in, but January will be a minimum month for increasing miles of running. That is because I have four weekends in a row of tennis, which means 16 plus hour work days on Fridays and Saturdays and 8-9 hours on Sundays. When I finish Sunday, I usually go home and sleep. I am on my feet most of the day for tennis, and it is really tiring mentally and physically. I am only focused on training and preparing for Grandma's. No other thoughts about any other race. I will see what happens when the snow melts... So, I am looking at January as a base month. To run at least 3-5 miles every other day on average. If I do not, then who cares? I am just thrilled to enjoy lacing up the shoes once again.

Then tennis is much less in February through April due to my schedule changes. I decided not to apply for the Carson, CA event in April as I am taking my first non-tennis vacation in years (I only had one in the past 7 years?)... Although Carson is all chairs and top-level officiating. So I should have a chance to get more outdoor time in with the reduced tennis, and I am looking forward to my real vacation!!! A visit to Germany for over a week with my son in February. Then there are some great running partners out there I am looking forward to spending some weekend time with...

I also wonder how my 6 weeks of Vitamin D therapy have impacted this positive attitude about running. I have 6 more weeks to go. I am less fatigued and sleeping much better, but I still need improvement. I also purchased DietController, one of the best programs I have seen to monitor all aspects of diet and exercise. I do not want to slip into the lack of nutritional balance noted in my blood tests 7 weeks ago. It is hard to believe how off-balance I was, and I'm glad the physician found these issues. Either way, things in my personal life are in a strange situation right now, and I miss Dana more than ever. I am not sure I ever let me feel about her death, but I know for sure, I was so dependant on her for encouragement, I am now reliving what we went through 3 years ago, alone... Hard to believe she died 2 1/2 years ago as it seems like yesterday.

But as I know, she would want me and anyone else in this situation to continue with the good things in life. Running is one of those things again; that alone feels good. I hope this continues, and I will see you all on the trails in the future.

Until then... Carry on...

2 comments:

SteveQ said...

Nice to see the desire to run is back and that you've got a program to follow.

All I can say about missing Dana is... carry on.

Wayne said...

Looking forward to seeing you on the trails sometime too, Londell!