Friday, October 31, 2008

Scary night...new beginnings...

I live in a secure building with an average age over 50, and we never get kids for Halloween. I only know of one person who has children. I recall the days when I used to have a bunch of running friends, and we all did a midnight Halloween run. As I do not drink alcohol, I became the designated driver as many of the runners ran hammered... in their costumes... Sometimes, the birthday suits were used.

It was a different world in the 1980s. Then I got married, had children, got divorced, children left, and became so distant from those running pals. Over the past month, I tried to look some of them up. Eddie I am told died of prostate cancer, Kevin also passed away but I do not know how, John never did recover from his war wounds and I was told one night life was to much.

I never could track down Scott. Scott was the best man at my wedding. He fell off the face of the earth. Gordy was mentioned in a Google search, but I could not find where he was in this world. It makes me think of how life is full of happy and unhappy endings and new beginnings.

Lately, I have struggled with what may have been the result of overtraining. My legs feel tired even when I do not run, and my knee and hip pains are back. I feel exhausted even when I sleep many hours. It may be related to stress at work.

Tomorrow is a new day to a new month. I spent my week preparing a plan to get back on track and start losing the weight I have put back on. From 2005 to 2006, I went from 296 to 212, and now I am back to 258, or 46 pounds heavier than when I ran the Superior 25K in 2:36, if I recall correctly. So, I am not halfway back to plump and do not want to go there. But that is always easier said than done.

Tomorrow, many friends are running Surf the Murph. I am sitting out as I am not sure I can run it.  Everything is sore, and I do not know why. Tomorrow is also the celebration for the Ultra group. So tomorrow, I will celebrate and then buckle down. I plan to lose 56 (1.3 pounds per week) before the Superior 100 next year. I'm still determining if I will race in between. Still, I have my computer ready for nutritional analysis and other factors, and I will go through the same analysis and workout patterns I did in 2006 when I lost 84 pounds. Only this time I do not have Dana, I still have the knowledge...

Carry on...

2 comments:

Diane said...

Good luck with your plans! Sounds like you enjoy your biking as much (if not more) than your running. Where do you like to ride?

Londell said...

I just get on my road bike and go... Never plan it out...