Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Who said I was smart?

It was a great way to start out the New Year.  A run.  My girlfriend called and told me how nice it was out there.   Who cares? It was below zero wind chills! The sun was out, and I would run the Minnesota River Valley trails.  I never gave much thought to the fact that there was all the snow in the past month.  I assumed walkers had forged a great trail.  I was wrong.  The beauty was one thing; the mid-shin-deep snow at many locations was another. I was not going to let it ruin my day.  I forged on at a 13-minute mile, which was good given these conditions.  One hour rolled by, and I was cold.  I had to choose to continue with my loop or turn back.  Mentally, I wanted to quit; physically, I was fine. 

I trudged onward, but that was not a bright thing to do. The second half of the planned lop did not have little protection.  The wind was atrocious!  I was an ice cube.  It was ten miles in just under 2.5 hours, and I knew I would get sick.  I did. I tried to run through the cold. I got on the treadmill and could do so for 4 more days.  Then, on Saturday, I was done. Breathing was hard.  I took the next 4 days off and finally can breathe again.  Hope the warm weather lasts a few more days before the cold returns. 

With this setback, I am rethinking the Psycho race in February.  Let's see how the next two weeks go!  


1 comment:

Adam said...

Hi Londell,

I assume this is the same Londell I know from Afton and RTA FA right? I'll link your blog to mine, keep in touch!

Ah