Thursday, January 3, 2008

A New Year

Well, it is time to quit pouting about not making 102 miles at Superior in September. I know 77 miles on that course is not a failure, but it sure is a monkey, or shall I say an elephant, on my back. I have gained 25 pounds since the 100—currently 255 pounds. Part of the blame was a pinched nerve and five weeks of limited activity.

Enough already, as I am ready to move on with the sting effort to conquer the Superior beast in September. I need to drop 55 pounds as the first goal. This is doable. I plan on running the Wyco 50k in February. I may do the 50 or 100 miles in April with other steps along the way. Since the first of the year, I have worked out for at least 2 hours for the first three days and feel great. I decided I would only weigh myself on Sundays with a minimum goal of 2 pounds per week, which puts me near my 200-pound goal at Grandma's Marathon, where it WILL be my 24th finish in a row. I always had a goal of 25 consecutive years and am so close.

Fantastic to have 23 years in a row, which saw me through grad school, fatherhood, marriage, divorce, 11 homes in four States, and ballooning to 296 pounds (2005) from a low of 176 pounds (1988). I must have the record for times at Grandma's, which ranged from 3:24 to 6:05 over the 23 years. This year, I have a goal of being under 4 hours. With my girlfriend's and running friends' help and support, I have no excuse for not achieving my goals except for laziness. So carry on...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck as weight is hard to drop but I know you can do it

SteveQ said...

I just discovered your blog today; hope to see you at the Superior 100 this fall!

Kel said...

I found your blog through Steve's links - I think I met you briefly at the RT Anderson Fat Ass in Eden Prairie this past fall. Probably see you at the Superior and Afton races this year (although I'll be running the "weenie" distances). Good luck!

Adam said...

Londell, are you looking for more company at Grandma's this year? I'm planning on doing a long Superior training run that day, probably about 25 miles to the starting line and then do the marathon. I was thinking 4 hrs would be the pace I'd run the marathon and would love to join the group!