Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Getting in the groove...

This past week has been filled with ups and downs, almost like the weather. I cannot brave the cold and have been outside less as I still have a slight cold. The dry weather is worse than I ever recall. The humidifier has placed two gallons of water daily into my place, and I still have below 30 percent humidity.


Training indoors has been going well. I did get outside for a few runs, including a 6-mile run, which was only planned as three. My girlfriend and I ran from her place in Apple Valley and got lost in the night. It was my first road run in a while. I have always been so energized that I stopped and asked a person walking their dog how to get out of their neighborhood. The twists and turns were like I had never seen. The street names were not in any recognizable order, and I felt stupid. Although I blamed my girlfriend as it was her neighborhood, I live in Bloomington.


I am getting excited about my success. Doing the 4-6 mile runs is again just part of the day. I have been mixing in the exercise bike. I have been riding 25 to 30 miles on the bike at least four times a week and consistently getting my miles above 20 miles a week. I am taking it slow as I increase the miles again. In addition, I add weight lifting to the formula at least three times a week.


A significant impediment to my training is that I am a United States Tennis Association Official, my second hobby. This takes many weekends, and some weekends are long. This past weekend, I officiated 40 out of a possible 52 hours. Sure, it is great training to keep functioning on little or no sleep, but normally, it means I do not exercise after the lunchtime run on Friday to Sunday night. But then again, we all have busy lives. But I am off this weekend and think I am getting out the dancing shoes… I love live music. We have great local music two nights in a row, and I look forward to attending. On Thursday, January 17, Allison Scott and Pamela Mcneill are at Famous Dave's, Uptown. If you want to hear a great pipe set and see some fun artists perform, this is hot… Goggle them for MySpace pages and music samples, but I assure you will not be disappointed. Then, on Friday, January 18, Kurt Jorgenson is at Minnesota Music CafĂ©. He is a solid guitar player with a Rob Thomas sound if you do not know him. Love his work!


I am getting excited about a crock pot contest we are having at my office. I am stealing a recipe from Julie Berg. She posted a recipe for halushkis. She describes them as "a wonderful potato-flour dumpling, mixed with bacon and cabbage." If I win the contest, I must send the measuring spoon prize. If you have yet to experience Julie's recipes or her great stories and uplifting thoughts, look at http://julieberg.blogspot.com/. Reading about her accomplishments and success makes me jump off the couch.  So many fun people who run the 100-mile races (or aspire to) have blogs. At times, this is the best reading. Once I figure out how to link these (I know it is easy, but as soon as I quit being lazy), I will link to some outstanding blogs for your enjoyment.


It's hard to believe that in about five weeks, we can bike outside regularly. My girlfriend got me a used Cannondale SR 400 street bike with lots of enhancements. I'm looking forward to getting out for some long rides again. Last year, I went long periods without a car, and it was great. That was on the old, heavy, and clunky mountain bike. This new bike should feel like heaven after the beast I have been riding.


Anyway, my Sunday weight was 250.5 pounds, meaning my planned loss of 2.5 pounds per week is happening. At this pace, I will be ready for the 50K in Kansas City in February. I am getting excited and feeling great. 


Carry on!

No comments: