Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Iron is important!

I have been researching the blood clots and the low iron issues.  I read an Imperial College London study that found people with low iron levels in the blood have a higher risk of dangerous blood clots.  A study of clotting risk factors in patients with an inherited blood vessel disease suggests that treating iron deficiency might be necessary for preventing potentially lethal blood clots.  That made me feel better about how I got the clots in the first place, but I realized IroIron is the primary focus for me right now.

My most recent blood draw showed hemoglobin at 10.2 and an INR of 10.3.  It is more of the iron levels that I feel so much better.  I took a bike ride two consecutive days to work (14 miles one way) and felt slightly tired after day 2.  I noticed I am much less fatigued in the rides than in the past year.

So, what have I learned?  I learned my body needs iron to make hemoglobin-rich red blood cells, which carry oxygen from your lungs to your muscles.  I knew the picture was more complicated when looking at endurance athletes.  In response to endurance training, the body adapts by increasing blood in your vessels, including iron-rich red blood cells.  As a result, the hemoglobin concentration in the blood stays roughly the same, but using up more iron, you may start dipping into your iron reserves.  That’s where the problems start.  I think that was over two years ago.

I read research by Dr. Laura Barbican at the University of Canberra (Australia), who writes, “IroIrones do much more for you than just red-blood-cell production. It also involves energy metabolism, immune function, and brain processes.”

I also learned about low levels of ferritin, a marker of how much iron the body has in its reserves, primarily stored in the bone marrow.  Garvican explains that the theory is that your body preferentially uses whatever iroIron is available to optimize hemoglobin levels, potentially shortchanging iroIron’s essential roles if the supply is limited.

However, there are several reasons that athletes, in particular, struggle to keep their iron levels up.  Endurance training stimulates the production of extra red blood cells, increasing iron demand.  “Footstrike hemolysis” in sports such as running, which involves repeated jarring foot strikes, can physically break red blood cells.  Heavy sweating and gastrointestinal bleeding also increase iron loss.  The bleeding can be minor but, over time, have a significant impact.

More recently, a study published by researchers at Florida State University in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism showed that hard workouts produce a spike in levels of a hormone called hepcidin that partially blocks absorption of iroIronevels of hepcidin peak three to six hours after the workout, so Dr. Garvican suggests taking iron supplements first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, or else immediately after a workout before hepcidin levels rise.

I would take more iroIron, then read that too much is as bad as too little.  I also learned that diet affects how much iron the body can absorb: Vitamin C helps with absorption, while coffee and tea may hinder it.   

I should pay more attention when I take IroIron, but it makes a difference.  However, could iron infusions be what helps?  I am unsure, although I am optimistic.  I feel better, at least for the past three days.  I have learned that low IroIron makes a great day bad quickly, and I will take this positive feeling as long as I can get it.

As I close, I found this old photo.  Who could this be?  He needs help with those teeth!




No comments: