Monday, July 14, 2014

A blog is better than Facebook?

Today I was asked if I ran a 5 K race over the weekend.  I informed the person I have only run 4-5 times a year for the past few years, and one of those is Grandma’s Marathon.  As I said that, it was clear they thought I was kidding.  I think this is the direct result of something called Facebook.  Facebook seems to decide what they will post and when, unlike the blog which has details in a user defined order as opposed to snip-its.

I have become less enthused with Facebook recently.  Mostly because of how people view the definition of Social Media.  I view it as a place to express oneself.  If I am happy, frustrated or confused, I can express my thoughts.  Recently, I was the subject of ridicule over my posting about a retail firm not keeping their promise.  I had requested they reset my password and they said I would be notified in 30 minutes.  After two days, I expressed my frustration on Face book only to be attacked for expressing my thoughts.  I also have another high level mail order company who double charged me for a Christmas gift and I am still trying to sort that out.  I expressed my feeling on Facebook in January and again was attacked. 

So I have not used Facebook for a few weeks and WOW, life still goes on without the daily use.  Who would have thought?

My physical recovery from the bicycle ride from Denver followed by Grandma’s Marathon is still slow.  Over 6 weeks and I still have limited feeling in my little fingers.  My left ankle is in extreme pain most days.  I have accomplished another 150 miles of biking, but things just are not correct.  I accomplished only one commute to work since May 1.  I am thinking I should try Yoga just to get the body in some sort of balance.

Either way, my son is now working full time and seeing the difficult schedule of the post Grad School life.  Very proud of how he is approaching the challenge.  As a parent, you can’t help but be concerted, as the corporate world he is in is really a dog-eat-dog battle.

At work we are preparing for yet another legal battle.  So many issues and people to just persist on creating a legal quandary instead of just admitting the issue and moving on.  Make the job so difficult to enjoy.

Either way I will try to ride bike to work more in the coming weeks.  This whole year has been hard with rain every week and flood waters higher than I ever witnessed in July.  Also, the weather is cold, in a July.  In the morning we have 50 degrees and a high of 66, in July?

Well, we take the good and the bad and keep pushing on.


No comments: