Thursday, February 27, 2014

Damb IT!

I know I should watch my language on the public forum, although I am frustrated, exasperated, enraged, maddened, aggravated, bothered, perturbed, discouraged, annoyed, irritated, agitated, etc.…  I am starting my third Prednisone and Leviquin regimen in 5 months. 

I hate these two drugs as they make my body feel like all my body fluids have been left at the last aid station.   Prednisone I nickname "pregnant zone" as I gain weight like I am pregnant, and not a thing I can do about it! I try hard to balance these issues, but getting out of bed hurts as that damb Leviquin makes me feel worse than when I ran 77 miles of the Superior Hiking Trail.  On a positive note, I do not have the blisters; it's just the body pain.

I have not even gone into the "Why me" phase of this now 5 years on again off again battle.  I often say, "Why not me?" as I have insurance, a good job, I am 51, and my child is nearly 100% independent.  I have the time and the energy (well, not really the energy anymore) to go through the fight.  I also have other dear friends far less fortunate than I am.  Just today, I read the CaringBridge post of a dear friend who does not even have the option I have, and she will not see her youngest graduate from high school.  So why me? I often look at myself and think, why them?

All in all, this will be my 11th Prednisone round and 4th Leviquin round since 2009, which is beyond the IV push when I had surgery.  If this does not work, it will be surgery again.  This time, it is exploratory as blood counts are OK; I just have the constant recurring infection, which will not allow me to sleep unless I sit up, messes with my vision, and gives me a headache with a much higher pain level than I have ever felt in my life.  My chest is so congested, and my wheezing is terrible. I'm not sure how people are putting up with me.  I try to be happy and pleasing, but I am really getting worn!

Been taking pictures a few weeks ago.  It was at the Ice Cave on the north-facing shore of Lake Superior. Pictures help bring the mind off other things.  Here are a few photos:







Music sure helps soothe the soul. My music taste is much more varied now. I have many new favorites, which I think most of you have never heard. My son exposed me to Amos Lee and Rodrigo y Gabriela. I listen to Bella Ruse, Robert Earl Keen, Danny Gatton, Ry Cooder, Steel Magnolia, Marcia Ball, Mallary Hope, and many others. I still love the local scene with Mick Sterling, Pamela McNeil, and the recent Home Free Boys. 

I appreciate how music is really an excellent medicine for the soul. It can make us laugh, cry, run faster, or smile… It is like what we eat: some make me feel better, others worse. Music is like food in many ways.

I know that I have traveled many roads. I often wonder, "If I had," would I have the issues I face today? The human body is a strange and hard-to-understand bunch of living organisms that promote and feed on each other. I will never understand. Will this next round of medicine fail? Should I give up and see what the body can do for me? I am tired…

I always loved a quote from Julius Caesar:

"If a man was to know the end of this day's business, there it comes. Will this day end, and the end be known?  If we meet again, we will smile; if not, this parting was well made." 

While I have long hoped to be back on the trails with many of you, my trail friends, I am still determining if I will get there again. I have no regrets; I am glad I was part of the journey. I hope to join you again, but as of now, I am losing hope. I am not a quitter, but this makes my patience run thin!

No comments: