Monday, March 17, 2014

When your best may not be good enough?

Over the past few weeks I had the outstanding opportunity to be with my son.  While I am very proud and only wish I could be half the man he turned out to be, I can’t help but think if I did a good job?  I often find he has some of my less than desirable traits and that makes me think I have failed miserably as a father.  But he is a great person, so did I fail?  One thing I always thought is I did my best.  Was that enough?  Will I ever be satisfied with me, even when I have so much satisfaction looking at him?

But as the well-known Winston Churchill quote “It’s no enough to do out best; sometimes we have to do what is required.”  I often wonder if I have done my best but failed miserably doing what is required?  But what is required?  Does anyone really know that answer?

In February, I watched the Super bowl.  I could not help but think the Bronco’s look like they were reluctant to be in the game and in my opinion, were not giving it their best effort. The Broncos were required to be in New York, but I do not believe they did their best.  But what does this mean?  I have faced many doubts over he past few years.  I have spent more time dwelling on my failures, as opposed to my successes. 

But there are many times I think I have successes, which are the result of another failure.  What do I mean?  Well I often recall the great runner Paula Radcliffe to describe what I mean. 

In 2005, Radcliffe participated in The London Marathon.  She was determined to become the world’s fastest woman in marathon history. Radcliffe started off the race in great shape!   Near the end of the race, Radcliffe started to feel… pressure. Literally.

So, as she neared the end of that pivotal race–a race that, if she won, would give her the title of the world’s fastest female marathon runner–Paula Radcliffe realized, to her great dismay, that she needed to go poop.  Unfortunately, if Paula were to visit a nearby bathroom, she wasn’t going to finish the race at the record-breaking time she desired. However, she really needed to poop.

So as she neared the end of her race, facing the possibility of failure, Paula Radcliffe resigned herself.  Instead of going to a nearby bathroom, she paused briefly and released the pressure.  Yes, she did this in front of hundreds of people while cameras were recording her and lives broadcasting the race to spectators worldwide.

After she was done, Paula stood back up again, crossed the finished line, and achieved what she initially set out to do: she became the word’s fastest female marathon runner.

And the rest is history.

I had not thought about “Paula’s Poop” that often, but I was thinking about doing ones best.  Is it enough?  Like being a father… You never know if it is the right choice.  She will always be the fastest at one point in history, but also be known for pooping all over herself.  Did she make the right choice?

You see, when I write, I am often forced to confront human limitations. These limitations may be physical, like Paula’s, but they can also be emotional, spiritual, or even intellectual limitations. When I hit a brick wall, I often try to figure out the “reason” why something isn’t working the way I would like, or why I have been presented with a challenge that is more than I can handle.

Maybe I figure the “reason” is I am not good today is because I haven’t tried hard enough.  Maybe it’s because I am being punished for something in my past.  Maybe there is something intrinsically wrong with me...  But if I stop looking for what I did right or wrong, and instead saw the challenges raising up to meet me, maybe I can find some peace.

Instead I’d go in and work at my job some more, putting in more hours, working to motivate my people, try and do everything my supervisors were telling me to do, and again, I find I do not believe my best is good enough.  This is the only place I know my best is more than enough.  I do not have that feeling anywhere else in my life.  I am stressing out.  I am frustrated. I am unhappy.  Life is not always good.  I feel overwhelmed and trapped.  I have reached a crisis in my life. 

Maybe the answer is to understand there is no answer.  Maybe doing my best means doing nothing at all?  I do not know, and not sure I will ever know.  But one thing for sure, I often think I should just go out for a walk and poop my pants…  It worked for Radcliffe, but not sure it would do much for me, but get arrested…


No comments: