Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dear Old Man Winter:

Please consider this letter a notice of your termination, effective immediately. While you exceed your clear expectations and requirements, these January temperatures of  -20° F (wind chill lower than -40° F), constant snow, and blustery conditions show you have exceeded all expectations.  You deserve a better position elsewhere.  I know I have no control over the hiring and firing of Mother Nature's staff, but I often wish I had some influence. 

Why do I want to rid myself of this long winter?  I miss riding my bike to work! 
Many people say, "Get a fat bike, fat man".  This would be an option if the roads were not so packed with snow and drivers had a high level of frustration; it is dangerous to even ride to work.  More than half of my commute is sharing roads where the speed limit exceeds 40 MPH.

People often ask what the allure of commuting on a bicycle.  To me, there are so many reasons, many basic, which include:
  • It is cheaper than driving. Due to rising fuel costs and upkeep, the average cost of owning a car in 2013 increased by just over $9,000, according to AAA. They say it costs just $308 per year to keep bikes in shape––nearly 30 times less than cars.  This is not a fair comparison as I still own the car, but I save about $4.00 daily in fuel costs when I bike. According to the Commute Saving Calculator, my actual commute costs $5,702.40 annually.  So with 260 workdays, I generally commute 60-80 of those I save about $1,500 a year.  Although I do have $200 of repairs annually.  But who would not accept an average tax-free $100 a month?
  • It's a free gym on wheels.
  • Bike commuting can be a very effective cardiovascular exercise as I age. It is also easier on the joints, especially when one is overweight, so something like swimming or biking that's not pounding on the joints can be a good thing. 
  • I miss traffic jams. Under the best circumstances, it is a 20-25-minute car drive. In reality, I need to plan 40-45 minutes for a margin of error. Many times, people who have the same commute take longer to drive than my ride. 
  • I believe I save significantly on health care expenses. 
  • I never have to worry about a parking spot. In fact, we have covered bike parking right next to the workout room and locker facility. (This amenity is worth making 20% less than many of my colleagues who do not have this option.) Money is not everything.
  • The most important reason to me is life.  I have little issues when I bike to work (provided the roads are not filled with ice and snow).  I stop at the stoplight, and if another biker arrives, I start a conversation, and we ride a few miles together if we are heading the same way. Try that in a car.  When biking, if I see kids playing, see nature's wonders or meet up with friends, I can easily stop and enjoy the moments.  
SUMMARY—When I am able to ride hassle-free, spend zero on gas, exercise more, become more eco-friendly, not constantly look for my car keys, become a leader in the workplace, be unworried about available parking, avoid stop-and-go traffic, and save money on insurance, you are going to see a HUGE boost in your overall mood and self-esteem. Sure, my bike commute is typically twice as long as my drive, but I actually save time.

When I drive my car, a typical day may start at 5:45 AM. I waste 15 minutes just getting up. I will make a small breakfast as I lackadaisically meander throughout the house. At about 6:50, I will shower and get set for work. By 7:20, I am in the car, and after some frustration with traffic, on a good day, I can walk into the office at 7:50 AM. 

If I bike, I have the bike ready to go with everything I need packed (including breakfast) the night before. I wake at 5:45 AM and throw on bike gear, and by 5:55 AM, I am riding. The crisp air is wonderful! I arrive at work at 6:50 to 7:10 AM. I do a 10-minute stretching routine, shower, and get prepared for the day. At 7:40 AM, I walk into the office with my breakfast and eat at my desk while I start my day.

So in reality, I have more than 10 minutes of saved time with the 18-mile bike commute, I feel better and less stressed.  As I had the chance to chat with acquaintances on the road and enjoy some great scenery along the way, my spirit was higher than normal.  Scenery and wonders you just can't see with the noise of the car and moving at 55 MPH or more are experienced.

So, Old Man Winter, please ease up and make the roads bicycle-safe so I can again enjoy my days in a way most will never understand or experience.


No comments: