Saturday, December 14, 2013

Strange stories that make no sense, or do they?

My Grandfather was a wise man and the most respected man in my life. He told many strange stories that never really made sense. He always said, “Someday you will understand the meaning behind my words, and they may not mean the same to you as another.” He made me think, and I credit him for all of my success. A proper father can make a difference. 

The story I recalled this past week was:

This beautiful bluebird once had babies in the early part of winter.  The chicks were warm and all bundled together in the nest.  But one young chick was restless and wanted to get out into the world early.  He flapped, shook, and did everything he could but could not fly.  He needed to be developed more.  One day, he moved just enough to fall out of the nest and dropped over 50 feet to the ground, which was cold from the snow.  He lay there freezing and did not know what to do, so he kept chirping as loud as possible.

Soon, up came the huge bull.  He looked at the bird and slowly positioned himself over the bird.  The bird thought he was going to be crushed.  Although the bull did not step on him, he just pooped on him.  The huge warm pile of poop saved the bird from freezing.  The Bird was disgusted by the smell and being covered in poop and continued to make as much erratic noise as he could.  Then, up comes a wolf.  The wolf digs the bird out of the poop and uses the snow to clean it up a little.  Then, without hesitation, the wolf took the bird in his mouth and swallowed him whole.

I thought this was a bad story when he told me the story when I was about 9 years old and several times afterward.  I always thought the moral was to be prepared for life.  But this has been a very hard five weeks for me with excessive pain and the return of the infection, which really messes with my balance, and the headaches are excruciating.  I have used all the mental power I have to create the highest pain threshold I can to get through the day.  At night, I have to wake to sit up every few hours (or sleep sitting up), or the pain is worse.  It appears the medicine has not helped. 

Anyway, I woke up at about 3:00 AM this morning, and my head was so bad.  For some reason, I thought of the particular story from my grandfather, which is stated above.  And I learned two new morals of the story other than staying the next early.  They are:
  • The first thought was that in life, those people that throw shit on you are not always trying to hurt you (Cow shit kept the bird warm).  In as much, those who pull you out of a jam are not always trying to help you (wolf cleaned the bird up for lunch). 
  • A second moral could be when you are up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut! 
So I am not going to complain about the health issue to loud.

And Grandpa, if you get to read blogs in heaven, you were gone before I really started to understand your stories, but I wouldn't be where I am today (the good parts) or who I am without you. You were the greatest and are missed, especially those stories that made no sense to me as a child.


No comments: