Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Home Free

I have never been much for a cappella. Maybe I never understood it or experienced the art form. For me, music required a solid drumbeat and a great guitar lick, or it was not music. That changed on December 14, 2013, when I was given a gift ticket to the Home Free concert at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul, MN. 

When I entered the theater, it was odd to see an empty stage.  Just five stools and a few lights.  How could they rock the hall?  How could we feel the music and the vibes that only a solid drummer and the guitar wizard can bring?  I was looking forward to a nap.

However, when the concert started, I experienced outstanding percussion and a great stand-up bass sound, but where were the instruments? Five guys were singing, and then it hit me: Only two guys were singing, and the other three mouths were creating awesome instruments. I was in awe of their talent! 

So I purchased all five CDs and then picked up another by Tim Foust, a member who did solo music before joining the group. I was in a hurry to get the songs on my iPod. But to my surprise, the CDs were from when Austin Brown and Tim Foust were not with the band. Now, the other three members are talented, but adding these two is a huge improvement. While the CDs were OK, they were I just did not like the new stuff that I could listen to all day.  

So, if you hear about them coming to town, I suggest spending some time experiencing the raw talent. It will be a wonderful experience. 

Oh, as a side note, on December 23, they won the A Cappella competition (Sing Off), and it was a very deserving win…  Hope you get the chance to enjoy the talent.  I know I did.

No comments: