Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grave visits?

Since there is little running going on in my life (finding a slow recovery from Grandma's), I have been letting the mind wonder. Although, this is not an uncommon thing, for my mind to be all over the place. Could be ADD?

My son is back from Alaska. It was funny, he did not shave the whole time and as a first for him, shaving 8 days of growth was an experience... I could only smile. He did have a great time... I am so proud of him and the comfort he has in travel and life. Now if I can only get his car out of the garage.

Now what was this post about... Could be many things... my weight is now over 270... ouch. But I still did several runs of 3-4 miles each at 12 minutes miles... So not all bad! I really need to get this under control!!! Stress is a big reason. But that is not what I was writing about.... Oh yea, grave visiting.

I was watching Forrest Gump Sunday and near the end of the show, I was really struck by something. He was standing at the grave of Jenny and talking to her like she was there. He left he a letter from little Forrest for her to read. Made me think.

When I visit Fort Snelling or other graveyards, I always get the strange aura. I read the markers and so many thoughts go through my head. Some wonderful, some sad, some strange. So I was thinking, I have never as long as I recall, visited a grave site of someone I know... I was really struck by this.

I started to think of Dana and how she was taken from this earth early. Then again, was she. I often think of the words from the Pastor when my 3 year old nephew dies. His words were Gods plan for Aaron's life was three years or Dana 36 years, they lived those years fully. That pastor emphasized that life being short is all do to the expectations we place on life.

Do I buy into this? I do not know. It is all confusing...

What watching Forrest Gump speak to Jenny make me think is how life can change at any time... I makes me want to take a trip to Portland. To visit a grave old a dear friend. Just to talk... I miss her and need to talk to her... It is strange to have this feeling, but Kayak.com has some good prices... Now I just need to coordinate the tennis and work and maybe, I will be happy and a hole in my chest will be less of a hole...

Isn't it strange how the littlest thing can trigger emotions... But without emotions, where does that leave us? Well for me fat... Emotional eating. Well, I am felling positive about the steps I am taking and that gives me hope...

Hope all well in this hot July as you train for many races. I am thinking I will not race at all this year and look forward to Superior 100. I am trying to get out of a tennis assignment so I can volunteer!

Until then or another post, carry on my friends...

2 comments:

SteveQ said...

I visit some grave sites and others I don't. 29 years since my fiancee died and I've never been to hers, but I stop by my parents' when I'm in the area.

btw, my dad grew up at Ft. Snelling, when it was still a military base!

Beth said...

Forrest Gump is one of my favorite movies. His love for her despite all of her ups and downs is inspiring.