Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Solid month, an issue and comments!

The month of April is near the end. I saw a few 30 mile weeks and looks like I will have over 115 miles and a few nice longer runs. I also biked over 130 miles. I still enjoyed the runs and am focused on Grandma’s 2009 success. That is all I am thinking about… I do not need a freak thing taken my goal away, after 24 years of hard work.

Last week I had an incident. I was on a couch, legs up and relaxing, when a large dog jumped up and the person sitting next to me pushed the dog away. The heal of her hand pushed my kneecap, hard and fast. If my knee cap was a hockey puck, the force would have taken my kneecap and stuck it into the sheetrock wall. It hurt, bad! I never said much to anyone, even that night, but now I am concerned. I had it looked at and I was directed to rest and if it hurt after two weeks, we would go for the MRI. I am nursing it along. I did make a painless 5 K Tuesday and today I just lifted weights. So could be a little issue? I have a 10-mile in Rochester Saturday, and I hope I can do that and whatever happened is healed. Until the, I am just going to take it easy for the rest of the week and pray. I just need to be careful not to jeopardize Grandma’s. I also feel a little inflammation in the left Plantar Fascia. Been doing precautionary action by sleeping in my boot to assure that does not get worse.

Either way, I had a great month of April. I went to help out at Zumbro 100 mile and Chippewa 50K. This was fun. I have photos from Chippewa at two locations for anyone interested. I will remove these in late May, so download any photo’s you may desire. They are uploaded at full resolution. Click to see photos of the start or half way or click to see finish line photos. It was great to be there for Kel’s first ultra finish. Steve Q had his third consecutive Ultra weekend in a row. Now he gets a week off and then a 50-mile. Mike W. was not happy with his time, but he did it nonetheless… More than I can say for 99 percent of America. Wayne continued his streak of PR’s, COOL! I car-pooled with Karen G. (who looked GREAT) and Jimmy, who finished well despite major surgery earlier in the year. I had not seen Karen since Superior. There are many others I met the past few weekends and had a blast.

Biggest Loser last night was a surprise. I had another activity so I recorded it and watched tonight. I was thrilled to see my hero (Tara) once again win the challenge. I wish I had her drive. For the first time since I started watching the show, I really say a contestant inspires me. Now that lying, cheating, poor excuse for a man Ron does rain on my parade. How he made the final 4 is just a shame. A real bad shame…

I read that next week they will do a marathon. I also read that Dane lied about finishing a marathon as stated on the show. Earlier he had supposedly run a 3:53 marathon, but he did not. He did recently vindicated the lie with a 5:47 marathon. Sounds more like it for a guy his size and shape.

Either way, I will keep plugging along, getting ready for Grandma’s (51 days away) and when that is done, I will relax… Until then carry on.

5 comments:

Beth said...

I feel your pain (ha ha) with the bonk to the knee. Similar thing happened to me a couple weeks before Fargo last year. Some kid sitting near me on a bleacher hit my knee. I couldn't help but blurt out to him to stay away from my legs because I was ready to run a marathon. Felt bad, but there was a lot of training invested in that knee. Sounds like you are on the right track with yours and that it will be good to go.Good luck with your 10 mile race!

SteveQ said...

The last episode of Biggest Loser actually had me watching without irony. One forgets the transformations and the time scale until they show comparisons. Even Filipe came off as a good guy.

Wayne said...

Londell, I hope your knee is fine. Have a great run in Rochester! There's a dirt track near the start/finish so go ahead and plan in some speedwork while you're there! :)

Matthew Patten said...

I appreciate your concerns with me helping those guys get back on course Saturday.

"He's going to help them find where they got off course?"

It was ironic, but I found it!

Funny thing is, SST100 was one of the only ultras where I did not miss a single marking.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.