Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Repeated post? Tara is my new Hero...

I have placed this same thought in the past on several occasions. Heart rate... I went 20 miles with Steve Q. and stayed up for 28 hours, slept for 15 minutes, and then stayed up another 7 hours Saturday. Sunday, I went for a 10-mile bike ride and rested. On Monday, rode my bike to work and home, ran at lunch, and lifted weights. On Tuesday, I rode to and from work and ran another 40 minutes at lunch, plus minor weights.  Today I rode bike to and from work and ran 4.1 miles at lunch. Each activity has a higher than normal (for me) heart rate. On today's run, I ran 20 seconds a mile slower than the exact run last week with an average heart rate of 158 compared to 134? My resting rate in the morning has not been lower than 72 all week when I had been in the high 50s 2 weeks ago.

My stress is increased a little, and I have not slept well since the Zumbro all-night activity. I am just dumbfounded. For the first time since I started regular workouts (about 8 weeks), the run was not as enjoyable as it had been in the past weeks. It seemed a little burdensome and a chore today. I was shooting for 30 miles this week but I may settle for 20 and close to 40 miles on the bike as i may just take tomorrow off? I will decide that based on the resting heart rate.

As I preached before, I feel good, but my heart rate is up. I just find my heart rate a great indicator of stress on the body and when I need to take a rest... and get a good night's sleep! I will get in early tonight and try hard to get a good 8 hours of sleep, but I will not cross my fingers.

Hope all are repairing well from Zumbo. I know it chewed those who experienced it up and spit them out, but we all lived!

I watched Biggest Loser again last night. Tara is such an animal. When she started, she was about 290 and had lost 112 pounds. I would not bet against her in a 100-mile in a few more weeks... She has the tenacity of the likes I have never seen... She is an inspiration for me on how not to quit. Will she ever tire is all I think.  Week after week, she just keeps going. Ever ready, bunny, for sure!  She has won 10 of 15 challengers, and in one, she had to pull a car with extra weight and beat the big Strong men...

Then, her friend Laura had a stress fracture in her hip. Wow, is she lucky they caught that when they did? Many criticize the show, but I find it interesting the variety of people on it. Now, only if Ron leaves will I enjoy it more. Until then, I need to rest and get my heart rate under control.

Carry on...

2 comments:

Beth said...

Boy, I'm a newbie and don't know much, but I was reading about overtraining and you listed quite a few of the symptoms. Look into it and take care of yourself! AND I love The Biggest Loser, too. I agree, Tara is quite a force and very inspiring. :)

keith said...

I find that show interesting, as well. It's always inspiring when people can make such a drastic and positive change in their lives.