Monday, September 11, 2017

Feels like progress

As previously reported, my weekly INR check was at 2.6, dropping to 1.7 and then up to 2.7, only to be 2.1 recently.  The good news is that I was above 2.0 in three of the last four weeks!  

I had the Injectafer treatment on the 6th and have another scheduled for Friday.  The Injectafer treatment is only 15 minutes long, but I did not feel as good afterward as I did after the 2.5-hour infusions previously conducted.  It is supposed to raise my iron level from 2 to 2.5 per treatment.  We will wait and see the results in a few weeks.

As I have DVT and Pulmonary Embolism issues, my employer upgraded my desk to a stand-up desk.   I stand for a significant amount of the workday.   It is an Ergot Ron Work Fit-TL, Sit-Stand Desktop Workstation.   My back was sore for the first week, but I forced myself to use it and wear compression socks.  I am less mentally tired when I stand.   I do not feel like I want to nap in the afternoon.

I have been riding my bicycle a little more, although half as much as I prefer.   I must avoid putting excessive stress on my body and work hard to maintain balance.  

As my 12.8-mile route is under construction, I need to settle for the 17.6-mile route for a while.  I am enjoying the longer route more as the road is much better, and the hill climbs are more subtle.  Some example rides include the following Strava links: 


Below is a video of a foggy morning ride.  This bridge is closed until next July, so my ride is longer.



I have also been happy that I weigh a pound or less each week before the INR check.  I am not trying to diet, as I am focusing on medicine and my eating routine for my health issues, so that is a nice byproduct.

I also helped my girlfriend’s future son-in-law build a fire pit in his backyard.  The result was pretty good, in my opinion.



Very rustic rear yard pit!
With the illness, I have been working less, yet not going in as much on weekends, which means people ask me to help them with activities.  I am tired to the point that I want to go to work, as it is less stressful on the body.

The Superior 100 trail race was this past weekend.  I have run the course and volunteered for several years.  I have not attended the past three years and miss being part of the activity, although two things drove me away.  First, the allure of the smaller race, where you knew most of the runners and spent time supporting them.  Just like any well-organized race, the race had exponential growth.  It has grown even more over the past three years.  My last year was not fun as hundreds of people now went through the aid station, and as a volunteer, I had 4 to 6 hours of chaos, which was not enjoyable.  

The running community needs another 100-mile option to remove the pressure from that race.  There is such a demand that they have a lottery for entrants, which is both a blessing and a curse.  However, if there were a smaller race that limited entrance to 50 in the State of Minnesota in September, it would take the pressure off, and I would love to volunteer.  

My second reason for quitting the ST 100 was that the last time someone wanted to schedule a competing race, one of the avid runners disparaged me.  When I supported such a race, that person threatened to “punch me in the face” to shut up my support.  I have found that some of the most incredible supporters are bullies with low-class respect for people.  

The race organizer was diplomatic and not openly opposed to a competing race.  That is because the primary organizer is one of the most judicious and cares for people I know.  Like anything, your other supporters and friends who are billies often drive others away.  Again, another person who is a regular active participant in the Superior Races took it upon himself to alienate many, so I (and recently learned two others) quit supporting the race just because of the one JERK.  Again, miss the fall trip.

Anyway, I will continue to work on my health and see where that gets me in the next few months.  That is all that is mandatory.



No comments: