Wednesday, May 27, 2015

No 31st Grandmas? Depressing?

I am thinking there will not be a 31st consecutive Grandma’s Marathon?  I have 30 years in a row of finishing, and I am tired.  I have no motivation to even try for 31, and I am in the worst shape of my entire life.  My heart issues and high stress are also making life difficult.  Does anyone ever notice that when one feels bad about him or herself, those close to you are often critical and make you feel worse?  It could be I am hearing the words of support as criticism.
 
There is a story I heard today.  It was impacting and made me think of a few things in life.  It was a teacher speaking to his middle school class.

She explained that a cruise ship had an accident at sea.  On board were a couple who, after reaching the lifeboat, realized there was only space left.  No way could both be saved.

At that moment, the man pushed the woman aside and jumped into the lifeboat to save himself.  The wife stood on the sinking cruise ship and shouted only one sentence to her husband.  The teacher asked the class, “What do you think she shouted?”

Answers such as “I hate you” and” Why are you doing this to me?” “Please don’t leave me,” etc.…  Throughout the angry sentences, a quiet boy was in the back of the room.  The teacher quieted the class to get the silent young man’s attention and answer her.  He replied, “Take care of our child.” 

The teacher looked surprised and said, “Have you heard this story before?” He replied, “No, that is what my momma said to my dad before she died from a disease.”

The teacher said he was right.  The man went home and raised their daughter.   It turned out that the cruise was the last vacation for the mother, who was dying of a terminal illness.  The father wrote in his diary,” How I wished I could have sank to the bottom with you, but for the sake of our daughter, I could only let you live and die alone in the sea.”

The moral?  Through all the good and evil in this world, many complications are behind them, which are hard to understand.  This is why we should only focus on the surface and judge others after understanding everything first.

Those who like to pay the bill when out for dinner do so not because they are loaded but because they value friendship more than money.

Those willing to help you do so not because they owe you anything but because they see you as a true friend.

Those who text you do so not because they have nothing better to do but because you are in their heart.

It made me think about the number one criticism I get from most of my close friends and loved ones about my dedication to my job.  Those who take initiative at work do so not because they are stupid but because they understand the concept of responsibility.  I was raised with an extreme sense of responsibility. 

I often wonder if my sense of responsibility works for me or against me in achieving my goals. Being responsible is essential to life, but the degree of responsibility gets in my way. I have lost who I am and what I have to contribute and experience in this world.

I fear the unknown.  As a result, I remain on the dead-end path and fail to try anything new.  I have a history of exercising to exhaustion, becoming a workaholic, overdosing on fiber, vitamins, and caffeine, and excessively worrying.  I am emotionally down on myself about possible neglect of my heart, mind, body, and soul.

I still search for harmony between my heart, intuition, body, and mind.  I will keep searching, but I will lose hope, and I will find peace and emotional stability.


No comments: