Friday, May 29, 2015

Bleeding Ulcer, SH*%!

It started with me feeling a little run down.  I blamed it on my attempt to get back into shape.  I would push myself hard.  I learned should lounge and gradually get back into shape, not play like I am in the best shape of my life.  But I seem to lose brain cells as I age and seek the health of a younger me.  This scenario has played out routinely for years now.  I feel run down and blame it on all sorts of circumstances. 

Earlier in the week, after dinner I went to my room to hide.  My stomach pain was as intense that tears were the result.  It was excruciating! 

So I went to the doctor to get some help. I have recurring extreme stomach pain and indigestion.  I thought it maybe from the OTC sleep medicine and the daily need to ibuprofen to sleep and function. There is extreme tenderness in the belly.  So that led to additional examination/testing. 

In the end, it shows that the stool has occult blood that is blood that cannot be seen with the naked eye but shows up with a chemical test.  Putting the results together, the doctor tells me the fatigue and tiredness is due to bleeding.

He explained the stomach allows food and digestive juices to combine and allow digestion to begin.  All this is accomplished with a protective lining that protects the stomach from digestive enzymes from eating away at the stomach. When the lining is damaged, inflammation and pain occur. The inflammation worsens until the stomach or the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine) bleed.

I learned red blood cells carry oxygen to all the organs of the body. When there are too few red cells, symptoms like fatigue, weakness, lack of energy, shortness of breath and chest discomfort are common.  Even lightheadedness may occur when I stand up quickly.  I learned it is because my body isn't able to pump oxygen-carrying red blood cells fast enough to the brain. I found it is fine in a few seconds as I adapt or sit down.

Long-term inflammation caused a small crater, or ulcer, to form. I had occasional black tarry stools.  Through endoscopy, a source of bleeding as found. They cauterize the blood vessel.  Now I am to avoid Aspirin and ibuprofen.  I was given lansoprazole to decrease acid secretions in the stomach and allow it to heal.  Now I will see what the result is as I do not feel better today.  One day at a time. 

I know to treat a bleeding ulcer, diet plays a very important role. Nutrients and foods that should be included into a diet are:
  • Vitamin A: Apricots, cheese, carrots, cantaloupe, eggs, spinach, mangoes, sweet potato and milk
  • Vitamin C: Mangoes, peas, melons, beans, oranges, cabbage, milk, berries, potatoes, yogurt, lemons, pork, beef, liver, mussels and chicken.
  • Vitamin E: Spinach and other leafy greens, Egg yolk, peanuts, mangoes and kiwis.
  • Zinc: Dairy products, peas and oranges
My foods to avoid are:
  • Pepper
  • Chili
  • Caffeine
  • Fried and oily food
  • Chocolate
Lets see if I am smart and disciplined enough to conquer this pain.



1 comment:

wildknits said...

Londell,

Sorry to hear about this medical set-back. Here is to full healing!