Sunday, March 22, 2015

On the seventh day, even God rested.

This evening, I watched Robin Williams's last film, " The Angriest Man in Brooklyn." It really hit me in many ways, especially since he died at the end. It reminded me of John Wayne succumbing to death in his last movie. However, one thing that struck me was the workaholic, irate man portrayed by Robin Williams.  I also know workaholics are generally angry old bastards no one cares about. Then, I recalled what my grandfather would say about my workaholic life.

On the seventh day, even God rested.

As a workaholic, the day of rest never comes.  I generally log nearly 60-hour weeks, then come home to more work.  There is always one more email to read, one more phone call to take, and one more critically important trip to the office that can't wait until Monday.  Weekends? Holidays? Family? As the uber-workaholic Ebenezer Scrooge put it, "Bah, humbug!"

I rarely go on vacation without my laptop or total electronic access. I answer emails at all hours and even return phone calls expecting to get a voicemail. It was 2:00 AM when I was at the office returning a call, and an architect who has a home office answered. We dealt with the questions!

I've often struggled with the evening and weekend issues, trying to figure out why I absolutely have to work. It is ingrained in me to the point of being a kind of addiction -- like going to the health club every day. If I miss one day, I feel awful.

Whether I'm reading a self-help book on how to be more productive or better manage my PDA while waiting in the deli line, checking email on my phone as soon as my date makes for the ladies' room, or heading back to my computer each commercial break, I'm continuously checking something. It's worsened because it hasn't let up, and I feel more compelled to be busy.

It is so easy to satisfy my cravings with cell phones, Pads, laptops, and WiFi, which ensure that work need never be out of reach.  Although blaming technology for my workaholism is like blaming the supermarket for food addiction or the corner liquor store for alcoholism.  The preoccupation with work is really at the core of workaholism. 

I think workaholism is remarkably similar to alcoholism.  Just as an alcoholic will hide bottles around the house and drink furtively, workaholics try to sneak into work when they think no one is looking.

Some clear signs of my issue include my trouble delegating work, neglecting other aspects of my life, and incorporating different aspects of life into work by trying to turn a hobby into a business.

While I know I should be the ideal employee—one who comes in early, stays late, doesn't take vacations, and takes on mountains of work—more often than not, I fail to handle the work effectively and become disorganized. I fail to recognize that I need the time off to recharge when my work performance is affected. 

I am afraid to take vacations because I fear that, with all the downsizing and the economy, I might not have a job when I return.

I fully understand workaholism has health consequences, including significantly higher work-related stress and job burn-out rates, anger, depression, anxiety, and psychosomatic symptoms such as stomachaches and headaches.  This past month, my stomach has been more painful than anytime I can recall in my life.  I have heart palpitations and racing out of the blue.  Despite these symptoms, I am in deep denial. 

How do I stop this? I can't go cold turkey or quit my job. Some suggest seeking information, but that is a vicious cycle. Let me read about reducing work by adding work. Let me add to my already busy schedule to help me with my busy schedule.

No real answers without making the problems worse?  Although, things always get worse before they get better.

No comments: