Thursday, February 5, 2015

R.I.P. again

In my last post, I spoke about the passing of Steve Wilkinson.  I have had three friends die in the first 34 days of 2015.  Not been a good start to 2015.

Most recently, Aaron Buffington, a fellow in my profession as well as a lover of long-distance runs, lost his battle with cancer.  I first met Aaron in work functions.  Then, I was shocked to see him at the Superior 100; I think it was in 2011.  Through 2011 and 2013, our paths crossed regularly.  It was about when his child was born, and we lost touch.  I have not seen him for a few years, but I still consider him a friend and was saddened by the news.

I did make the visitation and shared in the funeral for Steve Wilkinson last weekend.  It was a day of tears.  What amazed me most was that I met his daughters for the first time.  I was shocked when I said my name, and they instantly said, "It is nice to meet you; my dad spoke highly of your work ethic and dedication to the task being greater than anyone he knew." It floored me as I had no clue all my effort was recognized by one of the greatest human I ever met.  Steve was the best at reading people, and he knew I did not need praise to do my best; I just got it done.

It's hard to believe he's gone. What really got me was when Neal Hagberg spoke at the funeral. (The Funeral is on YouTube here.) His words were simple and very true. Steve was the eternal optimist. When I listen to the "Psychology of Winning," I think of his attitude toward life. I only wish I had not spent so much time on my career and more on a family.  

Even when Steve encountered the world's biggest jerk, he would smile, find a good thing about them, and try to promote the good in everyone.  Here is what Neil read:           

Before Steve
I did not know that an ego could be tamed with one prayer
I did not realize that fear could be conquered with a smiley-faced racket
I did not know that winning could mean losing 0-6 0-6
Or losing could mean winning 6-0 6-0

Before Steve
I did not know that simply saying a name could be the key to unlocking someone's soul.
I did not know that "thank you" was as important as "I love you."
I did not realize that having a vision meant not everyone would like you
I did not know that silence might be the best advice a person can give

Before Steve
I did not know that driving a ten-year-old car and living in the same modest house for forty years could make you rich in what matters.
I did not know that Rol-Dri-ing a court - properly - could make one old guy so happy.
I did not know that "I could" if I thought I could

Before Steve
I did not know that grief could press you down onto your mattress for hours.
And only love could make you get back up again.
And I did not know that lifting one person up could make everyone around you fly.
Including yourself.

Before Steve
I did not know that the face of life and the face of death are the same:
A smile and a high-five

What he should have added is after Steve.  That is impossible.  Everyone will move on, but for this overweight, arrogant, and aging friend, I will never forget.


No comments: