Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Peroneal Tendinitis

I have experienced ankle pain since July.  It evolved into a pain that made it difficult to walk at times.  I felt a little sore after the Colorado to Minnesota bicycle ride and followed those three weeks later with Grandmas Marathon.  After Grandma’s Marathon I felt just fine for a few weeks, then it progressively started to be painful.  I guess I should have expected a few issues but waited for three months to visit the physician.

The Orthopedic surgeon viewed several ex-rays and determined I had severe Peroneal Tendinitis.  He recommended physical therapy.  The physical therapist said I was very tight.  The range is typically Plantar extension is 40 degrees and I am at 18 and the average Doral extension is 20 degrees and I have 4 degrees.  I have solid inversion with 32 degrees where 30 is good but the radial is 6 degrees where 20 degrees is ideal.  So therapy it is with hard exercise to get full mobility and hopefully reduce the pain.

After three sessions I feel better but it still hurts.  I began to understand the importance of maintaining muscle elasticity, for the whole body.  I have placed my stretching routine on the back burner.  I forgot there are multiple reasons to increase your muscular elasticity, or flexibility. Improvements in range of motion and athletic capability, stress reduction and better sleep are all benefits of a regular stretching routine.  This really makes sense as I evaluate my past and sleep has been impacted much for years.  I am going to start a full body stretch routine for every other day and see the impact on sleep.

I understand to improve the muscle elasticity; I will focus on improving my flexibility and range of motion through regular flexibility-training exercises. The elasticity of a muscle refers to its ability to stretch into a particular shape. I fully understand as the human body ages, it loses some of its natural muscular elasticity, making flexibility training a good addition to your exercise routine at any age. How stupid to forget!

So onward I go looking funny in these moves that are made for the ultra slim individual.  I feel like a weeble, for those old enough to know what I mean. 

Any suggestions for a routine?


1 comment:

Mike W. said...

I had an issue a year ago with this type of tendinitis, made for painful running. Once I started stretching out my calves, I was able to get it resolved. Keep working on the flexibility and you should be back to pain free in no time.