Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Busy but excited...

There have been four reasons for decreased blog activity this past year.

First, with two big surgeries and recoveries, I have gained weight and just feel like crap. I have officially made the 50 pound point. That meaning I gained 50 of the 94 I lost in 2006.

Second, not a whole lot of physical activity to get me back on track.

Third, the job which supports my habits has been killing me. I love the fact that I have not had to face a layoff like many have in this economic downturn. We are down about 1/3 in staff and things are picking up. I have been working 55-60 hour weeks. My son and girlfriend keep yelling at me as I do not write down the overtime. I just believe I have a job to do and I get it done. I guess I should write it down so the higher up see we need one more staff person. Then still so about 10-15 hours of tennis officiating on weekends. Although, I have taken a few weekends in a row off from tennis and feel less exhausted...

The last thing is I have accepted the nomination to be on the USTA Northern Board and USTA Sectional Chair of Officials. One of those Jobs where you start with a low salary and they add a zero every year. (You know $0.00 to start). But like volunteering for races, this has it satisfaction built in to the duty.

With all that, I want to share the Superior 100 volunteer time gave me some inspiration. There is the Surph the Murph in a few weeks and I will get another does of inspiration as I hope I will get an aid station this year. Hope for great weather like last year. Nice and cool for the runner and I got 10 hours at a great campfire while supporting good friends. (If you want to see inspiration, see the link for this you tube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU) I have lost 3 pounds last week and had some good workouts (no running yet as my right PF is still so painful... may seek a shot. Hate to but it has been all year!). But did get 102 miles biking in over the weekend! Cool! Love the cool, brisk bike ride in the morning! May go the whole month without filling the car!

Anyway, hoping this is the upswing, just in time for the great fall ahead (no pun intended). May I get on the trails with many of you soon... If you are not on the trails now and want to start, drop a line. This overweight guy is slow and could use the support as well. It if fun!

Carry on my friends...

2 comments:

Scott said...

I'm planning to run the 50 mile at Murph, so I will look for you there!

Beth said...

I hope you get your aid station. You've had a busy year but have come through it well.