Friday, November 21, 2008

Run fat boy, RUN!

Well, I knew I was fat but severely obese? I attended my annual (well, it's been a few years - thanks, Carl, for encouraging me!) physical this week. This was after I had been working out regularly since November 1 and watching my diet aggressively as of November 2. I have only run 4 times over that period for a total of 12.8 miles in 2 hours and 5 minutes, but I did a whole lot of other exercise, including:


269 bike miles over 15 rides (17 hours or just under 18 miles a time on average)

18 walking miles on 7 walks (5 hours and 20 minutes and 2.5 miles a time average); and

18.6 miles on the elliptical over 9 times (4 hours 45 minutes or just over 2 miles a time average)


So, I averaged 1.6 workouts daily, with the average workout being 1 hour and 20 minutes. So, for the past 20 days, I worked 2 hours and 8 minutes daily. I am feeling better and optimistic about my Christmas deadline as I am not pushing it. If I felt like working out, I did. If I was tired, I did not…

Well, the Physician came in and looked at the chart and, in kind terms, said I was off the chart obese. We had a discussion and discovered I had been obese for decades. I exclaimed, when I was 215 pounds (which is still obese according to him) I ran the 25 K on the Superior Hiking Trail in 2:36 or so, I ran a 4 hour marathon and the Superior 50 mile in 13.5 hours. He said I needed to lose at least 87 pounds and ideal weight; I needed to lose 105 pounds… That stung…


I know I am fat, but I never considered I would be in the category of Americans who needed to lose over 100 pounds, specifically as I am 35 pounds less than when I ran my 5:45 marathon? Some co-workers pointed out that Jarred Allen of the Vikings is also obese, as are most running backs. The chart is just that, a chart. When I was 215, most people thought I was getting too thin, and they can not imagine needing to lose another 35 pounds to be healthy?


So, I wonder if there will be more than Grandma's Marathon in the store next year for the 25th time. I am curious if I will have a 50K, a 50 mile, or a 100 mile in store. I am still committed to waiting for decisions until Christmas and working out doing whatever I want, when I want, as much or as little as I want, in the following weeks. But after being told I am so obese, I may need to rethink a lot more than that?


Carry on…

6 comments:

SteveQ said...

There's overweight and overfat; they're different. There's also a woman who proved at the Hawaii Ironman that one can be fat AND fit. Think health, not weight.

There's also time spent training and time spent training usefully. Just because you were moving doesn't mean it was doing you much good (though more good than not moving).

Also, one shouldn't let appearance and especially what others say, dictate. I'm on the opposite end of the scale - when I get close to my best weight, people tell me they're worried about my health. I'm 25 lbs. above that now.

Wayne said...

Hey Londell, after your appointment you're still the same guy that's toed the line at the Superior Sawtooth 100 miler the last two years (as well as at a lot of other races). That's something. Adjust things as necessary, but keep at it! I'm looking forward to seeing you on the trails after Christmas.

Mike W. said...

I agree with both Steve and Wayne, and would add cut yourself some slack. Enjoy the journey, see you on the trails after Christmas.

Matthew Patten said...

The first question I would ask is, "are you healthy?".

I have seen some "overweight" runners at ultras who have done quite well.

If the doctor is measureing by Body Mass Index, then you will never win.

I would say that too high a % body fat can hinder a lot of things. Getting the body to burn fat takes a life style change, not a diet.

You can work out really hard and gain weight, so the exercise does not always correlate.

You know what you should weigh more than your doctor does.

Good luck

Carl Gammon said...

First, congratulations on getting your physical. That's the best present you can get for yourself.

Second, I certainly agree with the others, and would look at your fitness more than your weight. I bet your doc found that your heart is strong and your blood pressure good.

Karen G said...

Good luck with your weight loss. Being from a family of overweight people I know food kills, so number one important thing is the food you eat (in my opinion). Just because a person can run and excersise hard doesn't mean they are as healthy as they can be in the inside.