Friday, November 7, 2008

47 days and counting

This morning, the counter said it would be 47 days until Christmas. I had hoped that by that day, I would have revived my legs to start training for another attempt at the superior beast. Having the time off has given me much time to evaluate. My failure in the first ST 100 was due to a lack of mental training, and the second was due to overtraining and entering race day exhausted.

As stated at the UMTR gathering, if I do this again, I will use the 2-3 runs a week training method. That will be a midweek speed workout and a Saturday run of 20-45 miles, and that should do it. My best running results were when I gave my body plenty of time to rest with solid quality workouts. But then again, when you enjoy something so much, it is hard to do just twice a week.

Either way, even if I do not decide to do the 100, I do have to run and train for my 25th anniversary Grandmam's Marathon finish. Yes, 25 years this year when I finish, consecutively, that is. I had this goal, well, 24 years ago, and it is hard to believe I am that close. That is the only real focus I have, and I am not sure what I will be like emotionally when I cross that line for the last time.

Carry on...

2 comments:

Diane said...

Wow-- 25 years! That's awesome! And to have met such a long term goal must mean a lot to you.

I think you training plan for next year's Superior is sound--really. If you ever find yourself on a treadmill on a rainy day, consider walking at an incline... I think that really helped me 2007 when I finished. To each their own, though!

Wayne said...

Glad to see you're looking forward and thinking about what kind of training you'll be doing. Go with what works for you, right? Also, congrats on 24 Grandma's - Wow. Have fun training and running #25 (my current plan is to be there too)... and then is there any reason not to go for #26?? :)