Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Recovery is slow

It may be that I did grandma's two weeks earlier and started running three days later; it could be that Afton's hills were more challenging on the legs than I thought, or maybe I am just that out of shape. My quads are still burning as of Tuesday night. I will ride my bike tomorrow, but running will be out of the question. The legs do not seem like they want to move, right? The good news is that I have no knee pain. YEEE HAAAAAA...

I did get the bad news that Buck Hill is closed. That is a shame, as I was looking forward to 5 to 6 weeks of hills once a week. Now, I will look at alternatives. RTA has a nice hill, I could drive out to Afton, but that's almost 60 miles round trip... I could consider Hyland, but I am waiting for verification that running that ski hill is OK. It was supposed to be closed in the past, but users went there anyway. I was almost the ski jump north of Hyland. Well, I have a few weeks to decide, but it is so important if I plan to attempt the 100 miles again...

I am planning a day trip to run a few segments of the ST 100 trail. I would love to make Julie Berg's beta but am committed that weekend. I bounced around a few ideas. One thought I had for training was to leave Minneapolis on Friday after work and get to the trail before dark. After working all day, run the trail for about 12-14 hours and then return. A friend and my son said they would love to camp one night and would drive. I invite you to see if anyone is interested in a low-budget all-nighter and commute. Who knows, my dumb idea may be a good one?

Well, I now have four tennis weekends in a row, all weekend. It makes training difficult, but it is also fun.

Carry on...

6 comments:

Wayne said...

Hey Londell, that doesn't seem like a dumb idea at all... keep us posted.

keith said...

glad there was no knee pain! people have been running hyland on wednesday evenings...I guess that means it's OK.

Matthew Patten said...

Londell,

I was thinking the same thing for a Superior run. I was almost looking at next weekend, but might do something at Afton instead.

Too many booked weekends I guess.

It's tough to digest the fact that Superior is my next race.

SteveQ said...

If you plan the trip, keep me informed - I need to get up there!

Mike W. said...

Great idea about the trip, I just saw your comment on my blog and figured I would post here. We head out west for vacation through the first half of August, so I can't make it, otherwise I love the idea of doing the test run.

So if I go for Superior, it will be course blind but I will be coming off 2 marathons at a mile or so of altitude. They will have to do. Enjoy the training and stay healthy.

Diane said...

I'd be interested, too, if you were to put something together.

Sounds like your training has brought you to a good place... are you ready to commit to Superior now? If you were waiting until after Afton to decide, I think you should!