Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Litter, Life and luck...

It is so ugly...  There are trash cans everywhere.  There is no real reason to litter.  It just means they may be lazy?  Do they have no sense of beauty?  I am amazed as I ride my bike and see the trash line on the roads.  Running on the Minnesota River path today, I saw everything from a used condom to cliff bar wrappers.  When I ran today, I intentionally went slow as I did hills Tuesday.  I was amazed at what I saw.  I was both angry and confused.  So what was new.  This video above explains what would be an excellent outcome for those who litter...  No one gets hurt?

Well, I did it...  I signed on to the Superior Website and bit the bullet.  I signed up for the 100 Mile.  Although I am heavier, I feel like I am in better shape than last year.  I thought, what the hell.  Last year, I believed I could finish.  This year, I think I can not...  Last year, I felt confident as the energizer bunny.  This year, I feel like the Pillsbury dough boy.  Last year, my life was in total turmoil with my son leaving for school, me moving, and being very busy in a relationship.  This year I am bored, not much occupying my time but work and training and I am lucky if I date (or event get out of my small world) more than once a month.  The tale of two 100s may be a great way to start my report?

But a successful 100 miles takes more than training.  Luck has something to do with it?  Some may disagree, but there are so many things that have to be considered to succeed.  Weather, food, sleep, transportation, shoes, and many other things must all line up to make it the best possible solution.  I am not going to wish for luck alone.  Five weeks left.  To me, that means three hard weeks and a taper.  That will be long runs on weekends and the hills on Wednesdays.  And much more in between!

Carry on... 

2 comments:

SteveQ said...

Food, foot care and attitude seem more important than training. See you up there!

Diane said...

That's what I like about ultras (especially 100 milers): every aspect is important and any could hold you back if not optimized.