Friday, February 21, 2020

Yes I am alive

Life has been more difficult as a human ages. Work has been so demanding working an average of 50 plus hour weeks and trying to handle all the stress. Sleep has been atrocious. It is hard to stay healthy and maintaining a healthy weight when you are exhausted and sleep is difficult. Below is the past two nights analyzed:

Thursday night to Friday morning (2/20 to 2/21)


Wednesday night to Thursday morning (2/19 to 2/20)



That sleep pattern is not healthy. Research suggests an association between sleep restriction and negative changes in metabolism. In adults, sleeping four hours a night, compared with 10 hours a night, appears to increase hunger and appetite. I can verify that issue!

Observational studies also suggest a link between sleep restriction and obesity. One explanation might be that sleep duration affects hormones regulating hunger — ghrelin, and leptin. Another contributing factor might be that lack of sleep leads to fatigue and results in less physical activity.

One thing I know is when I get tired; I get emotional. As some may know, the past three years have been trying for my girlfriend as her mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about four years ago and degraded until she passed last summer.

This morning I heard about the last song Glen Campbell wrote, "I am not going to miss you." I just started to cry. For him to write that knowing it would be the result of his final time with us after being diagnosed is unheard of in sciety.  The lyrics are:

I'm still here, but yet I'm gone
I don't play guitar or sing my songs
They never defined who I am
The man that loves you 'til the end
You're the last person I will love
You're the last face I will recall
And best of all, I'm not gonna miss you
Not gonna miss you
I'm never gonna hold you like I did
Or say I love you to the kids
You're never gonna see it in my eyes
It's not gonna hurt me when you cry
I'm never gonna know what you go through
All the things I say or do
All the hurt and all the pain
One thing selfishly remains
I'm not gonna miss you
I'm not gonna miss you


I am trying to get this under control. I know that when I retire, it will be more comfortable as the political environment and my job stress are at an all-time high!

On the exercise side, I did purchase a Wahoo KiCKR indoor trainer so getting a few hundred bike mikes a month. Looking forward to being outside in a few weeks.

Anyway, I am going to try to do regular entires, but not sure I will have time.  They say it is a stress reducer and think I may as well give it a try!

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments: