Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Miles are up, not sure about weight

Today is the end of July 2019. While the month has many positive aspects, there are also lingering issues and minor setbacks. I still experience anemia and chest pains and need infusions to maintain iron levels. As previously stated, these are about half the frequency from 2018, but they are still required.

Against the physician’s advice, I refuse to continue taking omeprazole.  I started having some real issues in January.  All the problems were signs of kidney issues.  Kidney failure is a potential risk of omeprazole.  I have been off it for four months now and believe the kidneys are starting to function better, and I have fewer issues. I mainly focus on gut bacteria, as I firmly believe that if gut bacteria are balanced, many problems will be reduced.

In February, I decided not to weigh myself anymore. My weight feels lower, and only with significant effort. When I get to the physician next, whenever that is, I will see if I have lost weight. I am focusing on eating as well-balanced as possible while riding the bicycle more than in past years.

As of today, I have 132 rides and 1,796.3 miles.  I have stayed within that level since 2014 and had a low year of 760 miles a few years back.  Since 2010, my top year was 2,543.3 miles in 2012.  I am on pace to exceed that this year.  A subtle fact, in July, I only drove the car for four days. Otherwise, it was on the bicycle.

With my health issues that are lingering from the 2017 hospital stay, it is fortunate my son has been very busy.  Seeing a parent struggle with health issues is just as hard as seeing a child with issues. So, I am happy he is working and does not recognize my struggles.

He was in Germany for most of the first six months and was promoted to work, which increased the demands on his limited time. He has only been able to visit three times this year, and one of those times was a pass-through trip. The timing for this could not be better.

Here is to August and hopes of a 400-plus mile month, as July was 481 miles. Until the following report, carry on, my friends.


2 comments:

wildknits said...

Congrats on keeping your riding mileage up in light of everything else you have going on, especially the anemia! Hoping that you find the answer to your health issues, you have been struggling with them for years.

Did you find a good probiotic to take daily? Considering all of the antibiotics you have been on it would be a wonder if you had good gut bacteria left. I think we are all learning more and more about the contribution the gut, and it's bacteria have to our overall health. I certainly have in the past two years! And while some of my main issues have been addressed I continue to take a probiotic, eat prebiotic foods and maintain a diet which is radically different then what it was 2 years ago. Cutting out foods that cause inflammation for me has made a huge difference in how I feel overall, and led to some weight loss (not something I was looking to do at the time).

Londell said...

Lisa, what I learned this is a long term learning experience. I find dairy has a more significant effect on me as well as inflammation. I use more care in selecting food and dissecting the labels, and in the past months, I was so surprised at the sugar in so-called health beneficial food. The key for me was what the said was anemia, drug-induced. I have improved and look forward to a few more years when I finally get back in balance. At least the pace of improvement makes me believe that slow and easy will result in a good outcome.