Saturday, January 11, 2014

I got it?

I bet you are tired of all my blog rambling with little substance about my exercise success or event reports.  I got a solid start to the 2014 New Year with 6 consecutive days of varied-level workouts, and then on the 7th day, there was a physician visit.  I am beginning to think that a human body can’t destroy the mind, but the mind can destroy the body.  Crazy how a physician’s words and facial expressions can just send your mental well-being in a downward spiral.

While I am still unsure of what caused this recurring infection that I can’t seem to shake long term.  My Physician and I think it was from the bike accident several years ago.  I am on another prednisone (30, 20, 10, 5, and 2.5 mg step down every four days - 20 days total) and eight days of 500 mg Levaquin treatment.  If this does not work, I think it will be surgery again.  Is it OK to say I am getting a little tired of fighting this?  I hate the Levaquin!  It makes me feel like my muscles have dried up into beef jerky. 

Whatever the result, I will not have this stop my effort to finish Grandma’s Marathon for the 30th consecutive year.  Yes, I registered, and so has my son.  Not sure why he would bore himself running with the overweight old man, but he has registered.   He is an exceptional man, not sure what went right?  Must be the caring side of him he gets from his mother?

Well, tomorrow is a new day.  I need to remember that each day is a blessing.

As many know, I have had strong thoughts of my Grandfather Bill and his many stories I could not figure out for quite some time.  Over the past weeks, one in particular has bothered me.  He once made the kids put their hands on the Bible after we again did something wrong.  This one lesson was about us telling a lie that steamrolled to a level that we could not hide the lie any longer.

As he started his story, he said we need to remember the importance of living up to the morals and good within God. He said, “Think of how history would have changed had Abraham Lincoln not admitted chopping down the Cherry Tree.” All the kids tried to correct Grandpa, and he insisted he was right and followed his emphatic statement with the statement, “Someday you will understand.” I never did understand. Until now, I think I understand the lesson 42 years later.

He insisted he was right, and as we grandchildren talked over the year, we shook our heads at that stupid statement.  he intentionally told a false statement and insisted he was right, as we thought he was foolish. He was trying to get us to understand that when you know you are wrong and keep insisting you are right, you look increasingly stupid each time you try to convince others that your lie is correct.  He is right; not living the truth can be embarrassing. 

I will wait for the Levaquin to allow my muscles to lubricate again and start regular workouts.  Mentally, I want to work out, but physically, I struggle.

No comments: