Friday, October 9, 2009

Whistlestop, but not to run...

I am on my way to Ashland, WI, for the second time. Over a decade ago, I enjoyed one of the best fall marathons in the nation (in my opinion) there, and now I am going to support Shelley. She is doing her first half marathon. In my history of running, like many of my friends, a half marathon is just a boring training run.

Although I look back to 1984. I look back to my first 10K. I remember being nervous and thinking, "What am I doing!". I finished and recall limping for the next two days. This is the same process I had for my first 15K, then a 1/2 marathon, then a marathon, then 50K, then 50 miles, and so on. So, I respect those worries and will support those mental barriers I know I had once in my life... In fact, coming back from this knee surgery, I fear a 2-mile run once I am cleared. 

I know she will be fine physically. She is in her best shape (well, the past 5 years I have known her). She has been lifting weights and several quality training runs, and her core and upper body are much stronger. I am more concerned about the mental part of the race. Over the years, I have learned that mental training is more important than physical training in longer races, at least for me. Last fall, we ran a casual 12.5 miles together when I lied to her about how far we were in the run, and I did not give her a watch. When I told her how far she had gone at the end of the run, she immediately became very sore and fatigued. The mind is an amazing thing that stops results in many more DNFs than any physical issue.

I look forward to Carrie Neuburger (Kurt's wife) running her first 1/2 marathon. The last time I saw them was Afton 50K, and I hope her training went well. It should be a great time for pictures at this time of the year, and I will have three cameras. Whistlestop is the best for spectators as well. It is easy to see your runner almost every two miles, and it is a beautiful course. It should be fun!

Carry on...

2 comments:

Wayne said...

Alright, Londell... glad you can get back up there. Have a blast.

And Way to GO, Shelley! You can do it. Enjoy the day!

Kel said...

Have a great trip, and GOOD LUCK to Shelley!