Thursday, October 15, 2009

Movin on up...

I really liked the Jefferson's: the show and the theme song. Recall.

Well, we're movin' on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin' on up,
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
Beans don't burn on the grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin',
Just to get up that hill.
Now we're up in the big leagues,
Gettin' our turn at bat.
As long as we live, it's you and me, baby,
There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Who does not love this theme song? That theme song has been a favorite of mine as I climb hills in the past and now as I walk the treadmill at 15% inclines. Stupid in a way, but it does increase my spirit.  Can Carl write new lyrics for a Superior Trail theme song? He is great with words!

For the past few weeks, I have been doing at least a mile or 20-30 minutes on the 15% incline of the treadmill, picking up the pace. I did 1.75 in 30 minutes the other day—just walking, huffing, and puffing! It is a great workout if you do not hold on to the treadmill. My knee is slightly stiff, but it is just part of the process, and things are improving.

The first day I tried the 15% incline, it was a little challenging as it took 23 minutes to reach the mile. Today, I started to feel like I could do an hour. I may try that next week. An hour at 15%. Not the animal workouts Adam has been putting in, but I am still happy with them. I am getting a better understanding of how Diane did most (or all) of her training on the treadmill and walked the ST 100 to finish. I still recall her and yo-yo-ing between miles 30-35, with her passing me on the uphills with her awesome walking strength and me passing her on the downhills with my heavy weight being hard to stop on the downhills.

Been reading about many people looking forward to Surf... I am looking forward to seeing them finish a 50. It should be a hoot to volunteer.

I found out that my tennis event on the weekend of the UMTR event was canceled. YIPEE, I GET TO GO. It was nice last year, and I look forward to it again. I hope many plan to make it out there. Yes, that means you, Kurt, and Carrie. It would be nice to hear about Carrie's half-success. She finished; congrats!

Anyway, after not being able to work out and keeping moving on up the scale (pounds), I have two weeks of regular workouts and am down 5 pounds. Yep, I'm moving on up. But I hope it leads to the North Side (Superior Trail!).

Carry on!

3 comments:

Diane said...

Way to go on the treadmill workouts! The weight will start coming off in no time. I have a similar goal (weight loss). I've slowly gained about 15-20lbs over the last 2 years mainly due to continued poor eating habits coupled with less consistent running. My goal is to lose that weight in the next 3 months or so.

Carl Gammon said...

So, a challenge to come up with more running lyrics? I'll see what I can do.

Beth said...

Nice job on the treadmill. It's tough to walk on that kind of incline. So glad the knee is feeling good!