Thursday, February 28, 2008

Getting in a groove

We are starting to see warmer weather. I know 25 degrees is not great, but it is an enjoyable run. I've been running more outside lately—a great break from that treadmill. I sure notice the difference between the two. This only reinforces in my mind that preparation for a long race (50 to 100 miles) requires various training, as you never know what to expect. Treadmills, tracks, Buck Hill, trails, pavement, walking, and crawling all have their benefits. 

 

Last year, one of the memorable parts of the Superior 100 was when I used my arms more than I thought.  Pulling me up the hill or gripping a tree to hold me up.  I have a hill on my lunch run that is quite steep and right now a little slippery.  I will try (success at all times so far) to get up the hill.  It takes a total body workout to grab whatever I can to stop me from sliding down.  I can really feel the workout in my arms as well as my legs.  

 

Training has consistently run between 7-10 miles, feeling natural again.  My weight is still in the high 240s, which seems strange as my diet has been monitored. It could be better, but not bad.  Either way, I could also need to take a day off.  I have noticed in the past, after a long period of working out at least once, if not twice a day, that when I take 2 days off, I drop over 5 pounds.  I feel water-saturated and have not taken a day off from running since February 13th.  That is 15 days of at least 3 miles daily, with at least half being over 6 miles.  On 9 of those 15 days, I rode the exercise bike and elliptical machine.  Lifting weight three times a week (although not structure) has also been included.  So I will not worry about my weight yet. It will drop after a few weeks, and we will get outside more.

 

Been reading many blogs of other ultra people I met, and there are many interesting issues.  I have learned that this is truly an individual thing about what works and what does not.  I always provide my thoughts but emphasize that they must test things independently.  However, I learned so much from people openly sharing, which is the key to success. Feel free to test the body and monitor how it reacts.  I also found an interesting article called "Leadville from Scratch -May 2006 From zero to 100 in a year" (http://www.trailrunnermag.com/article.php?id=100&cat=3) The author failed but had some excellent information.

 

Anyway, looking forward to getting out there with you all again on the trails. I'd like to organize a weekly group run on Wednesday night along the Minnesota River once the spring flooding clears.  I love this trail as there are some hills, but not killers.  I hate the killer hills, so I saved that for Buck Hill.  Although, I have heard the hill may be closed to walkers/runners after last year's issues.  It had become a popular location, and the hill's vegetation was so destroyed by walkers/runners that it started a major erosion issue in August.  So I may have to look at another hill.  The one at the Anderson Nature Center in Eden Prairie may be good…

 

Carry on…

1 comment:

SteveQ said...

Buck Hill did take a beating, but I hope runners won't get barred; I'm planning a lot of trips up and down that beast. If not there, the Afton ski hill is almost as close for me.

The Leadville article was interesting. The hills there aren't like at Superior - there's only 7, but they're miles long. I'm trying to figure out how to train for the tree roots at Sonju.