Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The demise of trail running?

Over the past few years, I noticed a downgrade in the trail races race environment.  I have not competed in a trail race (only volunteered) in over four years, so my observations and conclusions may need to be validated.  I have noticed the trail races are increasing in participants to a point where you cannot “get to know” the runner.   They are becoming more of a business that succeeds on volunteers instead of a volunteer group that is not concerned about profit but breaking even at best.  This drive for numbers changes all aspects of a race.

At the aid station, it becomes more of a directing the stampede of horses through the canyon instead of getting personal and helping the individual needs.  This comment comes from experience both as a participant and volunteer.   To me, this is a shame!

Another issue is that many runners are less experienced and generally have higher expectations on the road race.   I had a runner yell at the director as he got lost.  So, of the 250 runners, 10 got lost.  Most found it so easy as they knew what they were doing.   This runner did not want to accept personal responsibility and blamed others for his mistake. 

When I ran, I studied the map, learned the area, and used care when I knew a questionable turn was near. The lost runner who gets angry has little understanding of what it takes to mark a course, and then there are people who do not want a race to remove markers. So, if a runner is prepared, they can overcome issues. 

At Surf the Murph this past weekend, someone got lost. I said, “Are you looking down to see the markers?” and they said, “No, I am enjoying the scenery.” Even when they are directed to look for the markers, they get mad, as someone else was the reason they got lost. I guess we need to mark the flags on the ground, the trees, and the sky in case they look up.

I have had people ask me where the restroom was located while I was at the primitive station on the Superior Hiking Trail.  I had another who did not carry a water bottle and then used 6-8 cups at the station.  In the old days, trail runners were all environmentally friendly; now, I find more runners who just drop the trash anywhere and are just rude.  This may be because they pay $100-$200 to run a race, which causes expectation.  I do not want to discount many who are very gracious, but I am finding more who are self-centered runners.  Most are fun, caring, and knowledgeable runners, but we all know the worst patient takes the most time and leaves the most significant impression.

Then there's the other side that I noticed in a heated exchange on Facebook. A spring 2014 ultra-marathon was scheduled on the same day as another longstanding one. Some questioned why not another weekend and why compete with the other race. My response was, “Why not the same day, and maybe a third would be nice?”  

Why, you may ask? Because if there were more competition and race options, the price would go down, the number of runners at each would go down, and they would become friendly again.  Also, different people cater to different types of runners.  While the trail races I have run in the past are great, the organization and mentality of the group are different from mine. That does not mean they are not great people who run great races; I prefer other options like Mcdonald's, Subway, Wendy’s, and Burger King.  All serve the same crap, but we have preferences which we then choose one over the other.  Athletic events, to me, are the same.  The variety on the same weekend is GREAT.

What I find it ironic is the person who was most upset about this particular competition in race options ran a local race on the exact same day as another ultra in the State.  Although there were no comments or complaints about having two longer trail races on the same day in that situation.

I look at it as supply and demand. Right now, I run fewer trail races because I don't see the benefit of the high price and lack of options.  If there were seven races on the same day, there would be better competition in pricing and services; of course, some would no longer be able to compete. But that’s the way it is, just like when a coffee shop opens up across from the neighborhood coffee shop. In America they have that right, it’s called competition.

I recall when Stillwater, Minneapolis, and Fargo all had Spring Marathons, and everyone feared the demise of Grandma’s Marathon.  Now I think I can speak as an authority to say that Grandma’s could use a decrease in runners.  I have run and finished the race every year since 1985.  I have seen it grow, and the enjoyment decreased substantially as it became a small race to another more than cattle hoarding.  I return only as there is a streak, but I prefer a marathon with less than 500 runners, just like when the 100-mile has 20 runners.  It was small, we knew everyone, and running an aid station was enjoyable.  Aid stations are becoming less satisfying, and I am rethinking my future involvement.  After all, a hobby should bring satisfaction, and my last two volunteer efforts have been more work and burden than satisfaction. 

Maybe I should start running again so I only get to hang with the people who are at my pace and not experience all the “bad” elements I have come to hate about the trail races lately.

3 comments:

SteveQ said...

I keep rewriting and not posting the same thing - it's "dilettantes, addicts and hucksters" that are ruining things. The sad thing is that each will scream at you that you just don't get it.

Jordan Hanlon said...

Though my trail/ultra running career is much shorter (since 2009), I've notice a dramatic change and I'd have to agree that many of the changes that have come with the growing popularity have been negative. In 2010 I ran my first 100mile Zumbro and there were 26 runners, the packet pick up consisted of sitting around the camp fire talking, rather me listening to some of the other runners who I all got to know quite well over the next few days. I'm glad that so many more people get to experience running trails and ultras but the popularity is coming with a price. Good post and hopefully the intimacy of trails/ultra will not be lost.

Anonymous said...

it is more busy but i hope you keep coming out Elly was very happy to see your car as we rounded the corner. She said oh good londels here. of course you have to get very close to see your car. there was a bush in the way steve l