Monday, October 11, 2010

Terrible too's

I am feeling a little better. I have been taking photos of the scale each day this month. Man, daily scale photos tell so much. I bounced as much as 10 pounds from the high and low in the last 10 days, with today being 6 pounds less than 10 days ago but 4 pounds heavier than two days ago. Goofy stuff. I will see how it goes.

The heading is the long-stated question: Once you feel better, how much is too much? I decided to focus on biking for the time being and run once I completed a 100-mile bike ride—yes, at once. I have done several 25-50 rides over the past month, so I am well on the way. I have been doing everything I can think of and reading for PF, and it still hurts a little. Weight loss from biking may make a good overall start.

Many runners, especially those new to running, make the "terrible too's" mistake. They get so excited and enthused about their running that they do too much mileage, too fast, too soon. They mistakenly think that "more is better" regarding running. As a result, they often start to develop common overuse running injuries. Been there, done that... so what is too much. Some pros say:

1) Be more conservative than you think you need to be with how often, how long, and how much you run, especially early in your development. Increase your mileage gradually. Keep your weekly mileage from increasing by more than 10% a week. So if I start at 520 feet, I should only increase it to 572 feet the next week, and so on... That is 25 weeks to a mile. But then, if my first run is 5 miles, I should be able to do a 100-mile run in 6 months. Both are ridiculous in my mind, so does that void the 10% rule?

2) Pay attention to aches and pains. If the pain worsens as you continue running, that's a warning sign that you should stop. If this were true, I would never run. Hey, close to 50, what doesn't hurt? Good. Does this mean I call in sick and stay in bed?

3) Take at least a day off... from what, everything, or just running? I need clarification.

My main point is that I want to run. I am just a little scared to start as I am concerned I will not control my weight. But I still do not know how to control my weight and may just do too much.

I am a little excited but will be a little of a loss the next three weekends. No tennis... Well, not really, as I am heading to Dallas Friday for an Official meeting, then home for two weekends before I have five weekends in a row. Then we are a week before Christmas. Wow, where did 2010 go? As I get older, time seems to go faster.

I read something the other day and found it hard to believe, so I Googled it, which is accurate. Given that a fellow Blogger is going through this right now, I did not know what to think about the shirt. It is very mixed but creative, that is for sure.

Time to call it a night. Viking has depressed me, so I guess I should sleep well!

Carry on, my friends...


2 comments:

NJ said...

Just wondering if you've tried keeping your foot in a flexed position via a stratsburg sock or other contraption overnight. Once I did that, I started to see huge improvements in my PF. Mostly in that I could walk in the morning. I can provide you with a recommendation if you need (Target carries a great option). Hope you can heal up that PF soon! It sure is a pain to deal with...I know! (no pun intended)

Biking is great...a way to keep and build fitness but not hurt the heel worse! Good luck on the 100! I'm sure you can do it, but can you get that in before the snow flies this year?

I think those rules you list out are meant to be a guide. Some people can blow the 10% rule out the window and others have to be more modest than even that. If you listen to your body, that's key,but most people don't know their body's well enough so they need rules/guides. For #3, that's individual. Rest can also be active recovery...ie Yoga, walking or hiking, playing football with the family, etc. (at least, this is my opinion on how I see this)

Beth said...

I've seen that shirt and I think it is funny. Don't know that I would wear it seriously, but I get the joke. Thanks for the shout out and for thinking about me. You and other runners have really helped me get through the last couple of months.

I agree with you on doing too much too soon. Better to take it slow. A 100 mile bike ride is a great goal and you are well on your way.

Time is truly flying, but it will be exciting to plan for 2011!