Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I ran, felt great, until the next day... I learned

First, for those who ran the Fargo Marathon... I envy you! Beth had a great race! She is preparing now for a triathlon. Congrats to her continued success.

Fargo is my hometown. Graduated from West Fargo High School. Also where my son had an accident that resulted in the amputation of his right hand. Memories good are erased about the memories of bad. I really want to run that race, but have to many memories. The good are not a strong as the bad, so I shy away. But it is a great race, so I hear.

I was so happy Mike took me up on the offer to run Monday Morning. It was a great run for me. PF hurt a little in the right foot and the knee was great the entire run. We did about an 11 minute mile from the Sibly House to Highway 77 and about a 12 minute mile going back. Just over 12 miles, but was not that difficult. This gives me confidence about Grandma's...

I ran in my new Experia Thorlopad sock. For $14 for the pair, I thought, give it a try... I got a blister about the size of a quarter on the ball of my foot... So I can say do not bother with them. This was even after coating my foot with good foot lotion...

Then this morning I woke up and it took me all of 20 minutes to walk. The PF in the left foot was OK, not worse or better than the week before. But I have this huge lump on the inside back of the knee. Four Advil and I was ready for the day once they kicked in.

So I learned I can do Grandma's, I may just regret Sunday after? And in this time in my life, I have learned so many more things...

On a positive note I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.

I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life."

I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back.

I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.

I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.

I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love that human touch...holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

And most importantly, I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. A WHOLE LOT TO LEARN!

Carry on...

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for the shout out! I'm sorry that Fargo has some bad memories for you. They do host a great race, so if you ever decide to make some good memories there, I promise to come and cheer you on. I understand, though, sometimes things are better left alone.

I'm so glad that you are feeling good for Grandma's. I love your list of all of the things that you have learned. I've read them several times and many of them really hit home for me. Thanks for that. We all have so much to learn.

Mike W. said...

Nice running with you Londell, hopefully you are back to moving normally now and got good news from the Doctor. Good list of lessons learned as well.

Good luck, heal fast and enjoy Grandmas this year. Hope to see you at Afton.