Thursday, June 19, 2008

What a difference a day makes?

I went out for my last run yesterday (Wednesday) before Grandma’s Marathon. According to Garmin, I struggle to do an 11-minute mile on Tuesday. I felt more like a weeble (sp) – if you recall, weebles wobble, but they don’t fall down - than a runner, really out of sync. Then yesterday, on the same course, I did the first 2 miles in 18:40, more than 1:30 a mile faster, and I felt fine. The return was 18:47. I took over 6 minutes off the same 4-mile run overnight. I thought hard of what it could be but concluded that some days we are on and others, well…

This is the 24th effort at Grandma’s Marathon, and I am a little nervous. I am not anxious about my ability, just superstitious. I started 24 years ago, planning to run 655 miles on the same course over 25 years… I know 655 miles may not seem like much for all you ultra runners, but to think I am so close… 92% there… Like making 92 miles in the 100… Well, not the same, but if something strange happened after 90 miles in the 100, what a bummer…

I am committed to going with the heart rate only. 125 to 130 or less, no matter what. I just want to ensure I finish. The knee is feeling OK, and this will be a big test. I will either sign up for Afton on Tuesday or call for an MRI. I really want to make Afton. The past two weeks of training have been very nice. Starting to feel better, and I am once again below 250 pounds. When I attempted the 100 last year, I was at 236. I hope that over the next 10 weeks, I can drop 20 pounds and be below 230 for this year’s attempt. It would be better if I was lower, but one step at a time.

I have another night meeting (the third night this week), and tomorrow, I may take a short day and head up to Duluth at about 7 PM. I sleep in the car with my running gear on, sleepwalk to the bus, and get set to run. Afterward, I slip into the lake, dry off, and drive home. I have been doing this habit for 10 years… I hope all that is up in Dulith are well and have success…

Carry on…

3 comments:

Kel said...

Good luck at Grandma's! Sounds like you've got a good game plan.

Hope to see you at Afton :)

Wayne said...

Wow, Londell... your 25th Grandma's?? That's awesome. I think you have a good plan, just take it easy and enjoy it. I think monitoring your heart rate is a good way to go - that's my plan too. It'll be tough with 9886 other runners in the way, but I'll keep an eye out for you. :)

SteveQ said...

I always drove to Grandma's the morning of the race until one year I fell asleep behind the wheel driving home. Sleeping in the car the night before sounds like a good idea. Break a leg!