Monday, July 29, 2024

Old age or dormant lifestyle?

It has been difficult for me to ride or do much of a workout the past month.  Daily, a new pain arrives with a vengeance, and an old pain diminishes.  The last workout was on July 22, seven days ago.  In addition, my favorite bike, my Surly Long Haul Trucker with the BIONX D500, has been out of commission.  I hope to get that back soon, as I can ride with electric assist without significant strain.

In addition, I have been stressed and working hard preparing to move my soon-to-be 81-year-old mother from the North Dakota farm to a new home close to me.  My father passed away May 6, 2023.  He passed working on the farm in the middle of nowhere.   I did not write about this as we had an estranged relationship.  I often wonder if I should have tried to sort through the animosity yet never took action.  I was raised in the middle of nowhere, and my parents lived there for almost 5 decades.  

My 80-year-old mother did not want to leave her long-term home.  However, there are memory issues, and we have no choice.  She can not remain safe alone in the middle of nowhere in North Dakota.  So, for the past few months, my sister and I have been working hard to find a new home, care for our mother, and prepare for the move.  The numerous long drives to the middle of nowhere North Dakota are an emotional drain.

Last week, we worked hard to start cleaning out the "junk."  It was a challenging task.  The hoarding was sad to see.  

Saved boxes of empty treat bags
 

A huge box of unused dog medicine 

I am hoping once we get her moved, the stress will subside and maybe some of the pain.  In addition, I hope to get my Surly back and get into a routine!

I have started attending Minnesota town ball games and reviewing Minnesota Townball Fields to fill my time.  I have always loved Townball and its history.  It takes my mind away from the issues in my life.

Carry on my friend, carry on!





No comments: