Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Covid, 2020, work and Grandpa

I assume the entire world is trying to move on from 2020 as we near 2021.  What comes to mind is 2021 has an appropriate meaning to the end of a bad year.  This is because Covid and 2020 really ruined so many activities and minimized maintaining friendships.  So when I get to 2021, I will emphasize 2020 won!  The year that kicked the bottom out of normal life.

The year did have some bicycle riding, but nothing like the year before.  I was able to complete 168 rides for 1,937 miles and just under 126 hours.  That is almost half the 3,567 miles and 267 rides in 2019.  Much of this is the result of working from home due to Covid for about 7 months.  I purchased a Whahoo Kickr trainer and joined Zwift a year ago but did not ride more than a few hundred miles.  I hope 2021 will find time for more enjoyable rides.  Work has created the most significant roadblock.  That has been true for the past 5 years, but 2020 was worse.

With work from home, 2020 did not bring a healthy year for a work/life balance.  I worked just under 3,000 hours and lost several weeks of vacation.  I am to blame as the work from home resulted in a loss of productivity. The budget cuts eliminated most overtime options, so the two of the staff who are not eligible for overtime, me being one of them, pick up the slack.  Sure, I could just get behind, but in many cases, people are waiting on our reviews to get a long term goal achieved or to start a job to feed the family.  I am not comfortable saying just wait because we are busy.  I have the deep stubborn North Dakota farm boy in me and care for other people who are impacted positively by getting items completed. I once had a college professor, Curtis Arthur Amlund, say to me, "Londell, I am so glad you're not a woman, you can't say no to anyone."

On a lighter note, I heard a great joke last week I have to share.  Some rolled their eyes, yet I really loved the humor.  It goes like this:

What two men routinely hang out near a window?  Curt and Rod - if you do not get it, say that fast.

Well, that is the type of humor I enjoy.  

On December 19, I am not sure what caused the flurry of emotions.  I had a strong emotional feeling about my grandfather like I needed to talk to him.  My grandfather was instrumental in teaching me many of the things I know about life for those who do not know.  He was a special man.  So on short notice, I decided to skip my girlfriend's small family gathering and drove to Glover, North Dakota.  It was a nice day, and I took pictures with a sample below.

It was a great visit, yet confusing?  The gravestone had a last name that was not spelled the same.  I preceded to conduct additional research and found that when my great-grandparents emigrated from Germany, the world war created some animosity toward Germans.  So the german last name Pies was changed to Pease.  I was astonished!



Carry on, my friends, Carry on.


No comments: