Sunday, September 20, 2020

It's my birthday?

Yesterday was my 58th day on earth.  The day before, I took a day trip with Shelley to the north shore for some hiking and photo opportunities.  The weather cooperated fully, and we were able to hike several hours.  Due to COVID concerns, we left home at 6:00 AM and made the destination by 10:00 AM.  We slowly started to drive back, hitting several hiking stops on the way, making it back home just before 9:00 PM.  I will share some photos later.

There was nothing strange about that trip.  Well except Shelley's father called a day early to say happy birthday. My son called on my birthday but asked what I was doing for my birthday and what I wanted.  He did not say happy birthday.   My oldest son sent a text and asked if it was my birthday, and said happy birthday, just in case.

What was strange is very few, other than stated above, no one else called to say happy birthday.  Not my parents, my sister, my girlfriend's daughters, or anyone I would consider family.   In the past, they all called or sent a text to say happy birthday.

Not sure how I feel about that outcome?  Not sure if it is everyone is focussed on COVID and forgot?  Not sure if I did something to upset them, and they had no desire to celebrate another year for me on earth?  Was it a strange cooincidece, or have I lost touch with those who make up the little family I have in the world?  

Either way, it is what it is and I need to move on without letting it bother me, yet it does.

In other news, anemia has taken a toll on me and my teeth.  I always want to chew ice.  When this gets worse, I know as I chew more and lose focus to avoid the activity.  Since battling Anemia for three years now, I am now on my third implant as I have destroyed some teeth.  With COVID, I avoided getting the needed labs. In June of 2017, which results in a hospital stay, my Hemoglobin was 6.8.  With three infusions, it increased to 15.3 by August.  August 2018, Hemoglobin 12.1 and another infusion increased to 15.1.  March 2019,  hemoglobin was 12.2, and another infusion increased to 16.2.  

I started feeling bad in December of 2019 and due to a change of insurance, I could not get labs until I set a relationship with the new care provided under the new insurance program.  After a few months, I finally had that scheduled for Late March 2020.  The COVID causes a cancellation from the provider.  It was not until July of 2020 I was able to get in, and the Hemoglobin was 11.8.  This physician did not that was low enough, even with my history, to get another infusion.  Instead that told me to take iron tablets for a few months, even though that causes a larger problem with stomach pain.  

In late August, I called to get an appointment due to stomach pain and was told that my preferred provider has no opening until January 2021.  So I guess my Hemoglobin will just go down until I am hospitalized again.  I think my stomach is possibly bleeding from the iron, which I assume will make it worse?  In the end, insurance, and I, will pay 10 times as much to treat the known issue.

I am not sure about much except one thing. COVID has not killed anyone I know.  I would say "yet" as I wonder if it just time that will kill someone I love or me.  Like no family members wishing me happy birthday, I can't dwell on the COVID fact either.  

Carry on my friends, carry on...













No comments: